• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Wires not covered by Car Warranty VW"

Collapse

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Surely a wire is a few pennies ?

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    How much are we talking about to fix? You've probably earned in the time it has taken to post your witterings on here no?

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Ask PCG if your PCG Plus membership will cover your legal costs.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    I have a soldering iron and I am willing travel. Interested?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    After 7 years a wiring fault is fair wear and tear really. The car is nearing the end of its useful life. Modern cars just aren't made to last in this repect depite huge advances in other areas, IMHO.
    So a car is scrap after 7 years? Don't think so.

A wiring fault is a wiring fault. Wear and tear is things like brake pads, suspension parts, tyres, etc. Wires don't wear out in normal use, especially not in something like an airbag which is designed to last the lifetime of the car.

Warranties are a waste of time, and only exist to stop people using their consumer rights, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    After 7 years a wiring fault is fair wear and tear really. The car is nearing the end of its useful life. Modern cars just aren't made to last in this repect depite huge advances in other areas, IMHO.
    That's rubbish. Even some French cars come with a 12 year anti corrosion warranty these days.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    4 months but its a 54 Golf TDI.
    The cars nearly 7 years old there is no way you can warranty against a failed cable at that age assuming its a seconhand car warranty not original dealer warranty your best hope is to try and do a deal with the garage over the cost as the issue is not stopping you driving the car

Or you could just take the bulb out of the airbag light

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    You could rely on your consumer rights, rather than the warranty.

Have a look at: Buying secondhand vehicles

In particular:

'If you take the vehicle back within six months of buying it, the dealer should accept that there was a problem when the vehicle was sold and offer to repair or replace it. If the dealer doesn't accept that there was a problem when the vehicle was sold, they will have to prove this.'

Probably not worth dying in a ditch over it, but perhaps you can come to an arrangement with the dealer to split the cost.
    Thanks, I will explore this avenue and let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Yep
    You could rely on your consumer rights, rather than the warranty.

Have a look at: Buying secondhand vehicles

In particular:

'If you take the vehicle back within six months of buying it, the dealer should accept that there was a problem when the vehicle was sold and offer to repair or replace it. If the dealer doesn't accept that there was a problem when the vehicle was sold, they will have to prove this.'

Probably not worth dying in a ditch over it, but perhaps you can come to an arrangement with the dealer to split the cost.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Yep

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Bought from a dealer?

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    How long have you had the car for?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Took car in for repair today at VW because Air bag light came on.

They called me up and said the wire is broken and because it's not a component it is not covered by the warranty.....

So what exactly is that piece of sh1te warranty for then?

Double peed off now after PCG pissed me off as well....

Is it worth picking a fight with them? Can I win?
    How long have you had the car for?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Read the warranty booklet, says:

Wiring and connnections (including HT leads and aerial coaxial cables)

are excluded from warranty.

Do I have a case?
    Nope.

Could I argue that the cable is causing the component to fail and therefore should be fixed?
    Car warranties are generally useless unless there is a major fault or there is a recall.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X