• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Middle names

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Middle names"

Collapse

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Can you imagine getting breathylised within 10 miles of that ? Not only would you get banned for life, but your family and all of your street as well
    Some years ago a similar accident happened in Duke Street, Glasgow. Right outside the homeless men's hostel, they must have thought all their Christmases had come at once. Not one can was recovered intact

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

Can you imagine getting breathylised within 10 miles of that ? Not only would you get banned for life, but your family and all of your street as well

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    I'm going to change my name by deed poll, Eternal Stella Optimist

Lots of Stella here.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

How about Wifebeater?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I think Lowenbrau would work better. ELO.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    My initials are ME, people think I'm taking the piss.
    Hello Mark / Mike / Martin

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    A middle name makes your initials more unique. For initialling things. Such as at work or declaring undying love on trees and walls.

At work over the years I've found several people sharing my first and last initials, but few share all three. I can't remember any.
    My initials are ME, people think I'm taking the piss.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    1 in 26^3 chance of a duplicate (1 / 17,576), and in a group of 157 people there would be an even chance of it containing one duplicate, by my calculation. Assuming a uniform distribution of initials, with 3 initials each. So a big office floor might contain one. Chances are though as you say you'd not meet one.
    False assumption. There's also the influence of what names are in vogue at the time of birth.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    I use my middle name and have all of my life. I've never been called by my first name and it's a standard name too. My folks just called me by my middle name and that was that. I've met quite a few others like this too.

It can cause confusion. Especially at gigs where they want to check your background etc. You introduce yourself as YZ and when I've produced my passport etc as XYZ they sometimes scratch their heads. I've had email set up in my first name at these type of gigs and have to get it changed as no one knows the mysterious dude XZ ..... just the weirdo YZ.
    I've got some course certificates like that.

More serious was when Swiss immigration put the wrong first name into their computer for a Dutch chap, and then wouldn't correct it. As a result all his insurance policies and other contracts were invalid and he had to get them changed.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by lightng View Post
    I don't have a middle name either.

I was told off in primary school by an ignorant teacher for not having one. "Don't be stupid, everyone has a middle name.". Figure that out.
    My first primary skool teacher demonstrated her ignorance by insisting my surname was spelled differently.

Which provided me with valuable lesson - Teech is not always right.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    A middle name makes your initials more unique. For initialling things. Such as at work or declaring undying love on trees and walls.

At work over the years I've found several people sharing my first and last initials, but few share all three. I can't remember any.
    1 in 26^3 chance of a duplicate (1 / 17,576), and in a group of 157 people there would be an even chance of it containing one duplicate, by my calculation. Assuming a uniform distribution of initials, with 3 initials each. So a big office floor might contain one. Chances are though as you say you'd not meet one.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    It would be simpler in the internet age if names were replaced by 256bit encrypted ones generated by a brain implant and changed every 20 minutes. None of this bothering with cards and pin numbers and passwords, you just stick your finger in the card machine and read out the Captcha code on your retina.
    It wouldnt work.
    Can you imagine it, a moonlit summers evening, on the canal bank. trying hard to smooth talk her keks off

'oh 26273548456795758742627354845679575874679575679575 84567957587426273548456795758746795756795752627354 84567957587467984567957587467957567957584567957587 42627354845679575874679575679575262735484567957587 46'

snog snog,

'that was me mums name that was'

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    It would be simpler in the internet age if names were replaced by 256bit encrypted ones generated by a brain implant and changed every 20 minutes. None of this bothering with cards and pin numbers and passwords, you just stick your finger in the card machine and read out the Captcha code on your retina.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X