• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "mumsnet readers and others - thing to do in somerset over a long weekend"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Longleat's great, but my kids were older when I went (10 and 12 IIRC).

I can't remember what there is for really young ones.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    I think we have decided to go to Longleat, wookey hole and spend a bit of time mooching around wells.

Going to mix it up with pub lunches and one proper restaurant meal.

Is this place any good, bit worried about taking 6 & 2 yo here. Any reviews.

Luxury hotels in Somerset | Ston Easton Park, near Bath
    Never been there myself.

Can definitely recommend this one though:

Slabhouse Inn

It's just a couple of miles from Wells up on the hill past the TV mast.

Or here:

The Grange

About 12 miles from Wells towards Frome.

We go to both these places when we want restaurant quality food & neither of them have ever disappointed.

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    I think we have decided to go to Longleat, wookey hole and spend a bit of time mooching around wells.

Going to mix it up with pub lunches and one proper restaurant meal.

Is this place any good, bit worried about taking 6 & 2 yo here. Any reviews.

www.stoneaston.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    The best thing about weston super mare beach is the mud (some kind of special substance only found in weston which is impossible to wash off) and the fact that apparently the tide is constantly dragging the sand out to sea, so to maintain the sandy beach they have to get earth moving equipment in every few weeks to move the sand back up near to the seafront!!
    That happens once a year, it's only to stop the Knightstone end getting a little patchy by the harbour.

The mud has other uses, if you want a vehicle to disappear for instance.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    The best thing about weston super mare beach is the mud (some kind of special substance only found in weston which is impossible to wash off) and the fact that apparently the tide is constantly dragging the sand out to sea, so to maintain the sandy beach they have to get earth moving equipment in every few weeks to move the sand back up near to the seafront!!

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Aircraft, with a two year old....nah.
    Bravo that man. At least some parents are considerate of other fellow passengers. Thank you !

In 1977, when Star Wars came out, I remember going on holiday to Wookie Hole soon afterwards.

I was really excited but terribly disappointed to find no Chewie.

Last edited by Board Game Geek; 9 March 2011, 12:49.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    What about the "Baby-Eating Bishop" Pilgrimage Tours?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Thanks for the local knowledge all...I may take a trip to wsm, are the donkeys out this time of year?

Anyone been to Longleat? Someone has recommended it to me but at the best part of hundred quid it's a waste if it's crap.

Any more suggestions regarding eating out - child friendly places that is. If only there was a website where you could find decent grub at places which also rated their kid friendliness.
    Longleat is a good day out but you'll never see it all in a day so they let you re-use your ticket (within 12 months?) to let you go back for the bits you don't see. I don't know about the monkeys but the lemurs will still nick the wiper blades, you can leave your car and take a bus through the park anyway.

For food in Weston Bottelinos on the boulevard and the Saigon (Vietnamese/Chinese) opposite would be good for kids if you eat early, our personal favorite is Dimitris (Greek) but not ever taken kids. The Thatched Cottage on the Seafront looks a bit dowdy inside but does fantastic melt-in-your-mouth steaks and good Greek food, again go early with kids and you won't have a problem. Avoid all other restaurants on the front.

If you're based in Wells there's plenty of good pub food places which we’ve always enjoyed but we’ve only ever eaten at lunch times.
    Last edited by gingerjedi; 9 March 2011, 12:10.

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Park at Heaven's Gate & walk in down the hill. Then once in just pay for what you want to do. Like I said, there are no monkeys any more but the maze is well worth the visit. Biggest in the world IIRC. Dr. Who exhibition has gone too which is a shame.
    Now the website doesn't offer this sort of info, just says ticket price - £xx.

Lack of windscreen wiper pinching monkeys is a good thing.

I didn't even realise you could just pay for bits of it. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Anyone been to Longleat? Someone has recommended it to me but at the best part of hundred quid it's a waste if it's crap.
    Park at Heaven's Gate & walk in down the hill. Then once in just pay for what you want to do. Like I said, there are no monkeys any more but the maze is well worth the visit. Biggest in the world IIRC. Dr. Who exhibition has gone too which is a shame.

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Thanks for the local knowledge all...I may take a trip to wsm, are the donkeys out this time of year?

Any more suggestions regarding eating out - child friendly places that is. If only there was a website where you could find decent grub at places which also rated their kid friendliness.

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    I quite fancy the motor museum, but I don't think the missus and kids will be quite so exited about it over seeing a bunch of baboons arses.
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    What's all this talk of beach and sand? Surely the best place is tucked up nice and warm at home. Or there is Bristol Airport nearby, which goes to lots of hot places.
    Aircraft, with a two year old....nah.

Too much hassle for a long weekend.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    What's all this talk of beach and sand? Surely the best place is tucked up nice and warm at home. Or there is Bristol Airport nearby, which goes to lots of hot places.
    Yes, this time of year it will be 50 mph winds, sand blasting and 5 deg top temperature. Forget it.

Best to find a pub with a childrens area and relax for a few hours.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Burnham on sea. Nothing there. Grim.

Also, Hinkley Point nuclear power station is a stones throw from the beach.

Visiting Hinkley Point Power Station in Somerset, UK

Something to think about when the kids are playing in the sand/water there.

Are high cancer rates in Burnham-On-Sea linked to Hinkley Point?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X