• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Higher taxes and longer working lives"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    She is lucky.

Lots of the old people I've met and know receive less than when they were working.

Though as they don't have to pay for getting to work, mortgages are paid off/council rent is low and their children are grown up they don't feel worse off.
    My father got early retirement at 55, paid the mortgage off, and in those days the dole was still earnings related. He reckoned that without the mortgage, cost of travel to work etc he was only about a fiver a week worse off.

Initially anyway. After a few months off he went self employed (and did nicely out of that). Council rates and water tax inflation would have definitely hurt if he hadn't started working again; within not too many years the two combined were a lot more than his mortgage had ever been.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    They are already doing that.

Women age 54 born after 6 December are retiring at 65 with I think a years notice.

After that if the next government needs to speed up the retirement age to 68 for both men and women.

Which it's suppose to be when I am suppose to retire.
    I've a feeling that women in a bracket older than that already had their retirement age raised from 60.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Er, I think it was a bit of a disaster with inflation at 25% for a year or two in the 70s/80s.
    A great aunt inherited a substantial sum in the early sixties, but she left it in a building society. When she died 20 years later it was certainly no longer a "substantial sum". Its worth dwindled from enough to buy a rather nice family home to enough to buy a small car over that time frame.

Ouch.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    I've noticed more older workers on my contracts in Germany than anywhere else. They seem to value experience. At my current place, on the day I arrived there was a guy with a 60th birthday cake on his desk. Nice not to be the oldest on the team.

Are you under 62?

I like working with the more mature person as they don't give a f*** about lots of things, which makes life a lot easier for the rest of the team.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Does the Big Society discriminate against morning drinkers?
    Probably not but it's always nice to get your work out of the way before drinkies.

Beside, she's 5ft 0in; is there no small society she can join instead?
    If she reads the DF she will be were versed (and suitably brain washed) into doing what Cameron thinks is wonderful.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    BTW here's Jefferson's view, in a letter to John Taylor:

The system of banking we have both equally and ever reprobated. I contemplate it as a blot left in all our constitutions, which, if not covered, will end in their destruction, which is already hit by the gamblers in corruption, and is sweeping away in its progress the fortunes and morals of our citizens. Funding I consider as limited, rightfully, to a redemption of the debt within the lives of a majority of the generation contracting it; every generation coming equally, by the laws of the Creator of the world, to the free possession of the earth he made for their subsistence, unincumbered by their predecessors, who, like them, were but tenants for life...
    And I sincerely believe, with you, that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies; and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    BMW in Germany are starting to (re)hire older workers as they find there are not enough skills in the younger generation
    I've noticed more older workers on my contracts in Germany than anywhere else. They seem to value experience. At my current place, on the day I arrived there was a guy with a 60th birthday cake on his desk. Nice not to be the oldest on the team.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    She needs to take part in the Big Society then the wine will have to be drunk in the evening and she would have many new like minded pals to share it with.
    Does the Big Society discriminate against morning drinkers?

Beside, she's 5ft 0in; is there no small society she can join instead?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Oh yes, she's exceptionally lucky, and she knows it, at least until the third glass of wine of the morning, which is just about when the Daily Mail plops through the letterbox and she can start ranting about 'these people', who are usually people of a different agegroup, income group, skin colour or sexuality to her own.
    She needs to take part in the Big Society then the wine will have to be drunk in the evening and she would have many new like minded pals to share it with.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    She is lucky.

Lots of the old people I've met and know receive less than when they were working.

Though as they don't have to pay for getting to work, mortgages are paid off/council rent is low and their children are grown up they don't feel worse off.
    Oh yes, she's exceptionally lucky, and she knows it, at least until the third glass of wine of the morning, which is just about when the Daily Mail plops through the letterbox and she can start ranting about 'these people', who are usually people of a different agegroup, income group, skin colour or sexuality to her own.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Not yet.
    The Big Society coming soon........

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    My mum retired a few years ago with;
    - a state pension
    - a private pension
    - a final salary based education pension (one of the last). She was a university dean when she retired.

She now recieves more each month than she ever earned in her life. All the best to her, but there's something slightly inequitable about this.
    She is lucky.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    BMW in Germany are starting to (re)hire older workers as they find there are not enough skills in the younger generation and they're also helping them in the workplace by introducing certain measures such as rooms to have a lie down, magnifying glasses, easier to reach work places (i.e. tool racks) and the assembly line goes a bit slower. Apparently its a success and they're going to employ a few thousand more but only in German speaking countries...
    The good old Rhineland model where quality counts for more than price.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    That's not nice. We aren't in the Victorian era where we live old people to starve to death or go to the workhouse.
    Not yet.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    But that could stop tomorrow.
    And then your payments could go to your personal account.
    That's not nice. We aren't in the Victorian era where we live old people to starve to death or go to the workhouse.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X