• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ancient History

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ancient History"

Collapse

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Any favourite software / tools?
    X-Tree Pro
    EditPad
    AmiPro

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost

And you had to fix it with those curious sticky pad thingies.
    Sorry. Are we talking about women or paper tape?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    The rot set in when we gave women the vote.
    Ftfy.

Oh and put the kettle on love.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Yep, now these simple apps take months to develop, have configuration issues (say with frameworks or APIs), suffer regression issues every time Microshaft release a service pack, but hey, this is progress
    The rot set in when we got rid of punched cards.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Nah mate, Progress was a different language altogether.
    Fortanately so.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Yep, now these simple apps take months to develop, have configuration issues (say with frameworks or APIs), suffer regression issues every time Microshaft release a service pack, but hey, this is progress
    Nah mate, Progress was a different language altogether.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    What's to tell? Back in the day smaller businesses were getting computerised beyond having a couple of word processors, bigger companies needed custom niche apps. Clipper et al filled that development slot nicely, apps could be created quickly. A nice earner and continued that way for a long time as existing apps needed to be supported or upgraded.

Accounting, stock control, inventory, help desk and just about anything else that required a database was easy to develop and deploy. Using tools like Sycero db I could have an app finished in a few days ready to move onto the next job.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    Visual J++

Don't know much about Chippery. You're obviously a devotee. Tell us about it.
    What's to tell? Back in the day smaller businesses were getting computerised beyond having a couple of word processors, bigger companies needed custom niche apps. Clipper et al filled that development slot nicely, apps could be created quickly. A nice earner and continued that way for a long time as existing apps needed to be supported or upgraded.

Accounting, stock control, inventory, help desk and just about anything else that required a database was easy to develop and deploy. Using tools like Sycero db I could have an app finished in a few days ready to move onto the next job.

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    Clearing out boxes I've had lying around for years I came across disks and manuals that were the tools of the trade back in the old days. FoxPro, Clipper, Sycero db and assorted libraries, compilers etc.

A wee burst of nostalgia and a hankering after simpler days. Sycero db was one of the best tools I'd ever come across being a Clipper app generator with it's own language extensions. Sadly none of the discs are readable now even if I did want to mess around with that stuff again.

Visual J++

Don't know much about Chippery. You're obviously a devotee. Tell us about it.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    started a topic Ancient History

Ancient History

Clearing out boxes I've had lying around for years I came across disks and manuals that were the tools of the trade back in the old days. FoxPro, Clipper, Sycero db and assorted libraries, compilers etc.

A wee burst of nostalgia and a hankering after simpler days. Sycero db was one of the best tools I'd ever come across being a Clipper app generator with it's own language extensions. Sadly none of the discs are readable now even if I did want to mess around with that stuff again.

Working...
X