• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Leave clocks forward?"

Collapse

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I'm certain it's been shown / proved that these fears are unfounded. Why is this BS constantly recycled? Scotland could have its own TZ if it wants anyway.
    It has been shown that these fears are well founded. Not that that matters to the English I suppose. So yes, deciding on the time zone of Scotland should be a matter for the Scottish people.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Ah.

Great.

Summer time in the winter.

And double summer time in the summer.

So I would get up in the light for at most 3 weeks per year.

Fanfeckingtastic.

Another bright idea brought to you by CallMeDaveTheMillionaireFeckwhitBliarClone.
    Maybe you shouldn't get up at such a stupid time, can hardly blame Mr. C for that.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    We'd all live to be an hour older.
    And birthdays and Christmas would come an hour sooner.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Ah.

Great.

Summer time in the winter.

And double summer time in the summer.

So I would get up in the light for at most 3 weeks per year.

Fanfeckingtastic.

Another bright idea brought to you by CallMeDaveTheMillionaireFeckwhitBliarClone.

I had the impression that the proposal was to remain at GMT+1 (i.e. BST) all through the year, which was supported by the closing comment of the article:

A three-year experiment to keep BST all year took place between 1968 and 1971, but was not made permanent.
    but you may be right.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    We'd all live to be an hour older.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    The Irish are changing over next year. First for trucks and buses and if it's a success, cars and bikes a week later.
    The old gags are the best

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I'm certain it's been shown / proved that these fears are unfounded. Why is this BS constantly recycled? Scotland could have its own TZ if it wants anyway.
    Surely any increase in morning road deaths is offset by the decrease in evening road deaths.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    The Irish are changing over next year. First for trucks and buses and if it's a success, cars and bikes a week later.

Have they been invaded by ze Germans by any chance?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    What, their clocks?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by BBC
    But there have been fears expressed in Scotland that putting the clocks forward would increase road accidents in the darker mornings.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Yep, it's the old clock changing chestnut again.
    I suspect it's already too late to implement it this year

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Nor are they in Central Europe
    Why did you bring them up then?

Out of all the things that Nazies did making some local countries use same side of the road is not even at the bottom of the list of things they are guilty - it was entirely sensible thing to do given mobile nature of warfare at the time and had it not been done at the time it would have been done some years later anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Sweden was the last major European country to switch to driving on the right. They were not occupied by zee Germans in WW II because they were neutral.

The UK has considered swapping sides, and studied Sweden's changeover. The logistics, costs and accident statistics in Sweden had been documented and were used in the study.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Neither Italy, nor Spain were occupied by ze Germans - their change was sensible thing to do.
    Those countries that were actually annexed and invaded also had rules sensibly changed - since occupation was temporary (compared to countries occupied by British Empire like say India) if that was a bad thing then they'd change back.

So if you want to blame Germans for changing rules on occupied countries then better look closer to your home mate.

Nor are they in Central Europe but I though an ignoramus like you could do with some knowledge. Now go away and fetch your tissues and keep yourself bussy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X