• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Chavs in Britain

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Chavs in Britain"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    An immigrant does not just take a job, he increases the size of the economy, which means more wealth which means more jobs.
    Quite true, eventually. Whether those of low skills and generally poorer health increase what really matters, income per head, is highly unlikely. That ridiculous 2001 Home Office study that took account of not a single cost or downside made the advantage only about £650 per head per annum. Whether those who have poor English, a resistance to integration and some very unnaceptable third world ideas improve our society is even more so.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Perhaps I lost interest in your posts after your bone-headed insistence that Newton's "Laws" were in fact laws, thus revealing a profound ignorance of how science works.
    No, you called them Newton's approximations, and I said they were called Newtons' Laws (of motion). It's what they are called. There's no need to get hung up about the word, there are probably no physical theories that are exact.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    I'd ignore the simplistic idea that immigration is a one-for-one cause of unemployment. The job market is not a fixed-size cake, to be cut into slices of a given size, where more consumers of the cake would mean smaller slices or some going without. An immigrant does not just take a job, he increases the size of the economy, which means more wealth which means more jobs.
    Precisely - its not a zero-sum game.
    Some people find immigrants are a convenient scape-goat to blame for their own failings, however.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    As if you, in you 20,000 posts, have ever demonstrated any competence in either. I've posted many posts containing numerical calculations, any of which were open to be critiqued by you or anyone else. But you stick to your bultuliping posts where your expertise lays.

While you bring the issue up. Not once in the time I have been on here have I seen you attempt to answer any quantitative problem posed here, and yet you claim to be doing a Masters in Mathematics or some such. How academic standards have slipped.
    Perhaps I lost interest in your posts after your bone-headed insistence that Newton's "Laws" were in fact laws, thus revealing a profound ignorance of how science works.

And for your information I come on here to be entertained not to educate you or help you understand why your simple-minded "quantitiative" arguments are wrong.
    In spite of my full time job, I am indeed doing a MSc in Finanacial Maths, mostly for fun.
    As you have rather more time than I have, may I suggest you do something as constructive? It will be a problem with your intellect, but with tenacity and persistence you may achieve a good A-level standard.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Earlier on in this thread, before it veered off in to the usual unpleasantness with name calling and other childishness, the word "Tokkie" was brought up.

Feeling somewhat adventurorus, I decided to investigate.

I can only deduce that Tokkie is probably Dutch for "Pirate Queen", and in the picture above, the Matriarch of the Pirate family is lecturing her crew, in this case, a young scally sailoress, on how to plunder more lucre on the high seas of benefit entitlement, by probably getting herself "laiden with child".

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    I'd ignore the simplistic idea that immigration is a one-for-one cause of unemployment. The job market is not a fixed-size cake, to be cut into slices of a given size, where more consumers of the cake would mean smaller slices or some going without. An immigrant does not just take a job, he increases the size of the economy, which means more wealth which means more jobs.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    The Welsh

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    England has Chavs, Scotland has Neds, so what are they called in Wales ?
    The Welsh

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    If you look at the supposed "scholarly articles" they seem to show different results. Maybe we should not assume that a source is unbiased simply because it comes from some university. Economics and immigration are political issues and real impartiality will not be found.

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Try riding the 50 from Lelylaan to RAI at half 8 in the morning and you'll see plenty of the Dutch 'Untermensch'
    You aren't wrong about the 50. But it runs from Bijlmer to Bos&Lommer; it was never going to be classy folk using it.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    England has Chavs, Scotland has Neds, so what are they called in Wales ?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

WHS.

And a village idiot AND a moron.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    While you bring the issue up. Not once in the time I have been on here have I seen you attempt to answer any quantitative problem posed here, and yet you claim to be doing a Masters in Mathematics or some such. How academic standards have slipped.
    I think you've had 'im there TW.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Now I'm not going to pretend that no other country on earth has chavs or a local equivalent. Here in Holland we have Tokkies and the like with their resplendent mullets, and anywhere in the world there are little groups of failed ugly little tulips who spend their days generally annoying everybody else, nicking stuff, vandalising stuff and so on.

The thing is, in most countries you only see a few of them here and there. But on my last 5 or 6 visits to the UK, entering through different airports or railway stations, I've noticed that the time-to-first-chav-sighting has fallen to about 30 seconds after alighting from train or plane. It then goes on; even in quite attractive towns and rather posh areas, groups of acne ridden greasy haired tracksuit wearers are to be seen on every corner, meaning it now seems almost impossible to spend more than one minute traversing a populated area of Britain on foot without seeing a chav.

What is it precisely about Britain, an otherwise rather splendid place that has given the world so many good things like railways, jet engines, decent rock music and nuns in latex outfits (huh? Zat voz ze Germans!), that has led to such a surplus of grotty little tulipes?
    Try riding the 50 from Lelyann to RAI at half 8 in the morning and you'll see plenty of the Dutch 'Untermensch'

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Is that what I said?
    I can see why you are unemployed. You lack basic numeracy and logical skills.
    As if you, in you 20,000 posts, have ever demonstrated any competence in either. I've posted many posts containing numerical calculations, any of which were open to be critiqued by you or anyone else. But you stick to your bultuliping posts where your expertise lays.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X