• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "ICT restrictions relaxed"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Not now Thatcher's no longer in charge, anyway.
    Bliar would welcome him for sure, good thing he is not in charge anymore...

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I can't see us giving Gaddafi a warm welcome somehow.
    Not now Thatcher's no longer in charge, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Have no problem with £150K earners paying full tax here. Let them in, the more people we have capable of earning that money in the UK the more chance we have of keeping the Uk out of the insolvency court.

£20K bobs are just undercutting locals and will probably return to their own lands before the 180 th day to avoid tax or even claim working tax credit like the new EU members!

Leave a comment:

• rsingh
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Whenever I hear of a dictator in some god forsaken region bolting out of his country, its London that he inevitably ends up in. They all seem to have some posh pad in London and its Britain that they head to, as if a red carpet was being rolled out for them here.
    Just think of the trickle-down effect of all that cash they could spend. Hey, it may even lift house prices.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Whenever I hear of a dictator in some god forsaken region bolting out of his country, its London that he inevitably ends up in. They all seem to have some posh pad in London and its Britain that they head to, as if a red carpet was being rolled out for them here.
    Aye.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by rsingh View Post
    Agreed. They should also welcome rich asylum seekers as well. I gather there are a few former North African dictators looking for a bolthole - and they ain't short of cash.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Unless he pretended to be dying of cancer and we let him on humanitarian grounds, after he'd given a few juicy contracts to British companies

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by rsingh View Post
    Agreed. They should also welcome rich asylum seekers as well. I gather there are a few former North African dictators looking for a bolthole - and they ain't short of cash.

Leave a comment:

• rsingh
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    £150k per year is pretty good salary - anybody who can credibly get paid that much whilst paying taxes should get visa stamped in airport or hand delivered by a high ranking civil servant.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Meanwhile, in other cheerful news: UK unemployment total rises again

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    If you think about it, ICT is like human trafficking. On my way home the other evening I bumped into 2 lost Bob’s in the centre of Zurich. They had just arrived, one guy was so fed-up he was sitting on the ground by a tree, as it was on my way I showed them where to go.

Several things occurred to me;
    The guys didn’t look like they been prepared for Zurich, didn’t have any maps etc.
    Didn’t have clothes for Zurich, it was -2° and they didn’t have a jacket or a coat.
    They didn’t look like they could afford to buy a coat in Zurich.
    The consulting companies are getting a lot of money for these guys, but I don’t think they see much of it.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Indeed - what's really wrong is to lower ICT minimum salary to £20k, now that's a joke
    I thought the PCG had the ear of the government, so how come we still end up with uncompetitive policies like these?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    what's really wrong is to lower ICT minimum salary to £20k
    Jesus fukcing Christ. I'm never going to work again.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    it indicates what a joke government target figures are when so many immigrant classes are excluded from their figures.
    Indeed - what's really wrong is to lower ICT minimum salary to £20k, now that's a joke - £40k minimum was okay I think, so long as it's through PAYE (so easily £45k+ cost to employer).

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    £150k per year is pretty good salary - anybody who can credibly get paid that much whilst paying taxes should get visa stamped in airport or hand delivered by a high ranking civil servant.

Now they certainly should be included into immigration figures but counted separately - there will probably be a few thousand of them per year.
    Yeah, there won't be many of 150k+ers, relatively speaking, and the more the merrier high earners we let in as far as I'm concerned, but it indicates what a joke government target figures are when so many immigrant classes are excluded from their figures. The number of Bobs alone will probably come close to exceeding the 10s of thousands/year target. Certainly the low 10s of thousands are long gone as a target, except with fudged figures. Why do you say high earners should be counted separately?

Meanwhile UK unemployment is booming...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X