• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Prisoners having a vote...."

Collapse

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Either walk away from the law completely, or stick to it. You can't have a government selectively choose which part of the legislation they want to enforce and which bits they want to stick two fingers up at.

Or actually, you can - you just can't expect to not get punished for it.
    Ditto for prisoners ... they didn't break all the laws, just the one(s) that didn't suit them. So if it is good enough for the UK government to ignore the laws they don't like, why can't the people? Not a good precedent, is it?

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Society has excluded them for the crimes they have committed. Surely that exclusion should mean they don't have the rights and freedoms to which they were previously entitled?
    Which also means they should not have to pay tax on any income from shares or rented property they own while in prison.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    As was argued in the 2000 US presidential election, disenfranchisement can also be argued as racism in certain areas, due to the demographic of those more likely to be inside.

If Zimbabwe gives prisoners the right to vote, isn't it about time we did?
    This is a personal view, but I'd prefer the UK to make its own mind up about it's own laws, where possible, rather than do something because someone else has.

And I'd be especially cautious of following Zimbabwe's lead on anything.
    Last edited by Doggy Styles; 11 February 2011, 15:43.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    As Mich pointed out, this has nothing to do with the EU.

This is not the same as Brussels saying you can't have bendy bananas

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I kind of see where you are comg from hamster chops.

However seeing as most other countries ignore half the EU rulings and the basis that they are effectively tulipe I really am not going to loose sleep about it.

but no prisoners should not get the vote becuase they are in prison becuase they have proved they are unable to live in a civilised society.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I have no problem with prisoners having the vote.
    I do have a problem with the UK saying - no we aren't going to abide by that EU ruling, because then we cant complain when other countries don't abide by the rules.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    So you advocate free fetish clubs for prisoners ?
    I'd advocate free clubs (with rusty nails) for prisoners, in 3 months the issues of prison overcrowding would be gone

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    Aha, we could turn Suity's mate's house into a prison.

Boomed

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    They should not get the vote

if it was up to me they would get nothing but bread water and 20 lashes

everyday.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    If Robert Mugabe asked you to jump off a roof would you?
    No, but if he asked me to push you off, I'd consider it

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    They should not get the vote

if it was up to me they would get nothing but bread water and 20 lashes

everyday.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    As was argued in the 2000 US presidential election, disenfranchisement can also be argued as racism in certain areas, due to the demographic of those more likely to be inside.

If Robert Mugabe asked you to jump off a roof would you?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Society has excluded them for the crimes they have committed. Surely that exclusion should mean they don't have the rights and freedoms to which they were previously entitled?
    You could argue that, but it's not self-evidently true that they are excluded from all aspects of society. Clearly, they are punished by having some things withdrawn from them. But it is not self-evident that being allowed to vote is one of those things. You may argue that it should be, but it is not self-evidently so.

Anyway, it really does depend on what you mean by "society", and "excluded". A prisoner is not allowed to do some things, like walk the streets or go for a curry and a beer, but he is allowed to do other things that are part of society, like raise money for charity, take communion, participate in the RSPB's bird watch, or write and publish a book. In short, they are punished, but not excluded.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    That's what is says - you just need to read it more carefully in future!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Technically that seems a reasonable point, although did you mean "you just can't expect not to get punished for it"?
    That's what is says - you just need to read it more carefully in future!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X