• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Weekend in Madrid, what to do/see?"

Collapse

• Pickle2
    replied
    As mentioned elsewhere - WATCH you wallet. Especially on the metro. Dont leave it in your back pocket, whatever you do.

Be prepared for late nights. Dinner is from 10.00pm at the earliest. Earlier and places will be empty.

Friday night. Hit up call cava baja in la latina for a tapas crawl.

http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/s...ew-140625.html

Saturday daytime. As mentioned, the museums are world class. The gurnica is well worth a look. Followed it up with a stroll round the Retiro park and a row on the lake. Its teaming in late afternoon and there are place sto stop for a beer around the lake.

Sat night - If you want the fancy contractor dinner.
    Restaurante Santceloni

Afterwords, instead of the stadium tour, go for drinks in the bar there that they have recently setup in the stands. It has a view over the whole pitch and is v. fancy. Quite an amazing scene.

esMADRID.com - Real Café Bernabéu

Sunday, the Rastro flea market is a good place to hang out before the flight home.

Oh - and watch your wallet.
    Last edited by Pickle2; 10 February 2011, 22:27.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    If you have time, take a day trip to Toledo or Segovia on the new high-speed AVE. Both cities are well worth the journey.
    In Madrid try and have your main meal at about 2pm. Often the first course will have some heavy options - prawns, paella, fabada (bean and sausage stew) or cocido (traditional Madrid stew) - but the second course, which is often steak, fish or chops etc often has few sides. In the evening try strolling from bar to bar, and outside of a tourist trap you'll generally be given free nibbles eg olives, ham canapes, cheese, bits of tortilla etc. There are loads of zones around Madrid for the tapas stroll, but as it's your first time I'll recommend these i ) around Metro Bilbao. A mix of tourist places and traditional spanish bars. There's a good Peruvian restaurant around here too, if you want a good evening experience. ii ) Around Plaza de Santa Ana - often called zona Huertas (or even guiri/foreigner zone) Loads of bars/restaurants here, but more expensive than other zones as it's influenced heavily by tourists. Lots more suggestions here:
    FOOD & TAPAS | Map Magazine
    There are some fantastic South American, especially Argentinian places to eat at night if you like steak. Spanish dishes you may wish to try include pulpo a la gallega (paprika octopus), prawns/gambas/langostinas, tortilla (great as a breakfast alternative with your coffee), salpicon (a mixed seafood salad) and jamon iberico (fine ham you should sample with wine). Steaks are done better by the Argentinians, but plenty of great Spanish wines to sample.
    Also, as mentioned above, take basic precautions to avoid meeting the same fate as Harry Redknapp. As a tourist in tourist zones you will be a target, but simple measures can make it almost impossible for the distraction thieves to rob you. For example keep your notes in a shirt pocket that is inaccessible under a sweatshirt. Here's some more tips - it's for Barcelona but most of the same things apply
    http://natashayoung.wordpress.com/20...-in-barcelona/
    Last edited by MrMark; 10 February 2011, 20:41.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Parque del Retiro is a very pleasant place for a stroll. Don't know what it would be like at this time of year though.

Suckling pig (cochinillo asado) is a local speciality and this is the place to have it.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Check out the royal palace, fantastic architecture and exhibits. It used to be free entry to EU passport holders.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    All 3 galleries mentioned are excellent of their respective types and I wouldn't have missed any.

In Plaza Mayor, I liked the tapas and the dinners at Los Galayos (on one corner).

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    and if conventional is still too good the side road going down from Grand Trip by the side of the Macdonalds is where the local ladies earn a bit of extra cash.....

erm.. apparently
    Take a look at Google Street View

33 Calle de San Dalmacio, Madrid

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    If you like a bit of art, try Thyssen-Bornemisza or the Prado.

Sunday morning you could head over to El Rastro but do keep a close eye on your wallet.
    For modern art, go to the Reina Sofia Museum. Whatever you like, Guernica's worth seeing.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Does she prefer to work in more conventional venues?
    and if conventional is still too good the side road going down from Grand Trip by the side of the Macdonalds is where the local ladies earn a bit of extra cash.....

erm.. apparently

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    If you like a bit of art, try Thyssen-Bornemisza or the Prado.

Sunday morning you could head over to El Rastro but do keep a close eye on your wallet.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    I heard from a friend that there's an aeroplane that's been converted into a Lap Dancing club. How Cool !!!

Not sure if the missus would be too up for it though ...
    Does she prefer to work in more conventional venues?

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    I heard from a friend that there's an aeroplane that's been converted into a Lap Dancing club. How Cool !!!

Not sure if the missus would be too up for it though ...

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    My advice would be to leave the Tripe (Tripas) to the locals. I ordered in a small home style restaurant and then had to try and hold it down while the owner stood over me smiling.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    depending where you are stopping, go to plaza mayor for a nice beer and people viewing.

Get the underground to Santiago Bernabeu for a visit around the stadium - it was about 16e when we went.

We stopped in a nice hotel just off Grand Via.

If you are stopping on or around grand via then get the train from the airport to the main street. It will cost a couple of euro.
    We got a taxi and it cost us best part of 70 ! We learnt a lesson for the return journey

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    Ok, spur of the moment decision, I've decided to take gf chef to Madrid tomorrow for the weekend.

The location was chosen mainly down to flight times departing from Cologne/Dusseldorf and flight travel times to the city.

So, my question is with effectively all day Saturday and until Sunday evening in Madrid what do you recommend to do?

I'm looking for suggestions on Hotels, museums, restaurants, something to see/do etc.
    See the safe in your hotel, that's where you put your wallet. Just bring what money you need out with you.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• chef
    started a topic Weekend in Madrid, what to do/see?

Weekend in Madrid, what to do/see?

Ok, spur of the moment decision, I've decided to take gf chef to Madrid tomorrow for the weekend.

The location was chosen mainly down to flight times departing from Cologne/Dusseldorf and flight travel times to the city.

So, my question is with effectively all day Saturday and until Sunday evening in Madrid what do you recommend to do?

I'm looking for suggestions on Hotels, museums, restaurants, something to see/do etc.

Working...
X