• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Got my USA car hire sorted."

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    No idea... I don't know if automatics have a foot "handbrake" as standard or only some models, we'd never heard of it and were a bit confused for a minute or two trying to leave the airport

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    And the foot-operated parking brake spooked me, especially in San Francisco. Not a great place to have to learn to hill-start all over again...
    Is this like the Mercedes C class foot brake?

When in Cape Town, car jacking centre of the world when I wanted a cheapo looking car I got upgraded to a 3 series BMW automatic that kept stalling for want of a darned good service. Soon learned to master an auto when fight or flight kicked in when we konked out in a ghetto called Woodstock.... Every bit as bad as it sounds. Espeically when in the car with a freaking out mother!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    And the foot-operated parking brake spooked me, especially in San Francisco. Not a great place to have to learn to hill-start all over again...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Be careful when leaving the car hire depot as muggers/car jackers do tend to see you as an easy target.

Be aware that as soon as the car starts moving the doors will lock.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    do a few circuits of the car hire car park before you hit the new jersey turnpike
    I thought he was going to Florida?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    I had a Pontiac when I worked there, with the A/C on and your foot on the accelerator you could see the petrol gauge move, gota love V8.
    When I said the Pontiac Aztek I was being sarcastic

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    If you have never driven an automatic, you will learn to love it.

just keep your left foot tucked out of the way. and do a few circuits of the car hire car park before you hit the new jersey turnpike

automatics go a long way towards explaining why the yanks are such nice sedate drivers

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    You've rented the equivalent of a Honda Accord or Ford Fusion.

Live the dream.
    They probably won't have any of that class so will offer him a cheap upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Not dared to check out what the car is like - just £127 for a week including additional driver. Chebrolet Aveo was £150 including second driver, so I am bricking it.

A Pontiac G6. I am thinking Rover Metro city for that price....
    You've rented the equivalent of a Honda Accord or Ford Fusion.

Live the dream.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    you might be lucky and end up with a Pontiac Aztek
    I had a Pontiac when I worked there, with the A/C on and your foot on the accelerator you could see the petrol gauge move, gota love V8.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    From experience you get a lot of car for your money. The smallest we could see was a Focus or similar, I think we picked something 2nd-smallest and it was giant, the boot could fit 2 people (we tested).

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    you might be lucky and end up with a Pontiac Aztek

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Do tell
    Its Gricer.
    Wilmslow will walk funny when its all over.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Not dared to check out what the car is like - just £127 for a week including additional driver. Chebrolet Aveo was £150 including second driver, so I am bricking it.

Do tell

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    started a topic Got my USA car hire sorted.

Got my USA car hire sorted.

Working...
X