• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Criminal conviction and travelling to the US"

Collapse

• centurian
    replied
    Can't you just say you're like BA Baracus - you're terrified of flying

And in the post 9/11 era, airlines don't like taking unconscious people on board

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by MayContainNuts View Post
    Well stupidly or bravely I have given notice on my contract.

The client was pushing for me to head back to New York and I was a little reluctant, but had decided not to declare and chance my arm!

Another colleague was asked to go as well. Turned out he had a criminal conviction for affray when he was younger, fighting on the terraces of West Ham! Jeez, talk about a wake up call. Client was not happy, not happy at all and then went into a Daily Mail rant about criminals. The guy was lucky to keep his job!

That's tulip me up, so I've quit. Be seeing you!
    Sorry to hear that.

What sector was the client in? Financial?

Otherwise, like others have said, think you may have gotten away with it.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    And he committed fraud again by making a false declaration. What could they do if they found out (however unlikely it is)?
    I dunno, but he wouldnt be voting in any elections for a long while

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    Spent convictions only apply to the UK. The yanks don't give too hoots about the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and can be as strict as they like.

You should declare any arrest or conviction that involves moral turpitude - however long ago it was

Moral turpitude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I use turps for lighter fuel that's it. Is there a moral issue to consider now???

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Isn't there a time limit or something where you don't have to own up. I seem to remember something like that.

oh just checked a "spent conviction" is something you don't have to own up to, you don't have a criminal record, but you maybe barred from SC and finance jobs.
    Spent convictions only apply to the UK. The yanks don't give too hoots about the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and can be as strict as they like.

You should declare any arrest or conviction that involves moral turpitude - however long ago it was

Moral turpitude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    And he committed fraud again by making a false declaration. What could they do if they found out (however unlikely it is)?
    No idea. Don't you just get deported and barred. I've watched those Australian airport programmes. Stupid to have quit.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Ah! Bit of fraud and theft. You'll fit in well.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

The client was pushing for me to head back to New York and I was a little reluctant, but had decided not to declare and chance my arm!

Another colleague was asked to go as well. Turned out he had a criminal conviction for affray when he was younger, fighting on the terraces of West Ham! Jeez, talk about a wake up call. Client was not happy, not happy at all and then went into a Daily Mail rant about criminals. The guy was lucky to keep his job!

Well that was ******* stupid. You'd only get caught if you wandered through JFK airport whistling, wearing ill fitting shoes and a turban on your head. At worst you'd get an orange suit out of it.

Leave a comment:

• MayContainNuts
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Risk it! If you got away with it once, chances are it either didn't flag up on their system or they don't care about it. If you do get caught out then resign. I'd be daft to throw a job away on a "what if".

Good luck.
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Forget to mention this.

You are NOT going there to work. You are there on business for some training, workshops and to understand why the yanks do things so well.

Never use the W word.
    What they said. Seriously.

EDIT: I don't like to drag up the past, but see here:
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...programme.html

I didn't declare my arrest, and I got in fine.
    In the end, I figured that having entered since my arrest having not declared it, then declaring it would certainly result in my being barred.
    Last edited by Platypus; 4 February 2011, 20:39.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Yes I did 'hard time!'

I spent a few months in remand which went towards the actual sentence.

Let's just say I was a little stupid with other peoples credit card details.

I found I was struggling to get permanent work and so decided to go contracting last year. I did ask on this forum whether I needed to disclose it when setting up as a contractor and was told I could.
    Just put in on your CV as having spent time in Investment Banking.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    How would they find out?

The only thing that would make them check is if you were to do the same thing in the US, then I can see they'd check up on you.

Well you've kept quiet once you may as well do it again.

Probably makes sod all difference anyway.

Isn't there a time limit or something where you don't have to own up. I seem to remember something like that.
    A Statue of Limitations:

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I doubt they check the PNC at immigration. I was in the states 4 weeeks ago and I was more intimidated by the London terminal 5 queue than Mr Angry at O'Hare Airport.

Leave a comment:

• Dearnla
    replied
    They're more worried about drugs offences. Friend of mine turned up at Heathrow having neglected to fill in the visa forms first, only to get turned away for a conviction for possession. Had to apply for an exemption and lost his flight.

Oh, and all for a transit stop on the way somewhere else!!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    How would they find out?

The only thing that would make them check is if you were to do the same thing in the US, then I can see they'd check up on you.

Well you've kept quiet once you may as well do it again.

Probably makes sod all difference anyway.

not sure what the rules are, probably would flag up in SC clearance.

oh just checked a "spent conviction" is something you don't have to own up to, you don't have a criminal record, but you maybe barred from SC and finance jobs.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 4 February 2011, 14:11.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X