• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Should I Go Diesel

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should I Go Diesel"

Collapse

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by manclarky View Post
    There you go then - if you buy a car on DP's first list, then there's no need to worry about the cost of filling it up.
    If you go for the second list, depreciation isn't the worry - fuel is.
    Luck or unlucky timing I went for a petrol merc class, 53 plate which I picked up week before last. Then last week I accepted a role 95 or so miles round trip. Had I know I may have gone for a diesel model ! Never mind, think overall cost based on these miles is more or less the same.

Leave a comment:

• manclarky
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    £127K in depreciation.
    There you go then - if you buy a car on DP's first list, then there's no need to worry about the cost of filling it up.
    If you go for the second list, depreciation isn't the worry - fuel is.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by manclarky View Post
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with that. Admittedly, I possibly drive more than average (66 miles each way = 660 miles / week = 30,000+pa), but I spend over £150 a week on fuel - but even a modest car could easily spend £100 a week.

Assuming 3 years, that's £15k - and still £5k per annum. Not too many cars would lose £15k in depreciation over 3 years, especially if bought second hand.
    I'm sorry you are wrong. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

Look how much I've lost on my Maybach in one year! £127K in depreciation.

Make Model Cash lost during 2009
    1 Maybach 62 (03 on) £127,526
    2 Maybach 57 (03 on) £115,253
    3 Rolls-Royce Phantom (03 on) £81,183
    4 Bentley Arnage (98 on) £66,040
    5 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti (05 on) £51,627
    6 Mercedes-Benz SL Class AMG (02 on) £51,381
    7 Bentley Cont. Flying Spur (05 on) £47,080
    8 Aston Martin DBS (08 on) £41,347
    9 Bentley Continental GT Coupe £40,110
    10 Ferrari F 430 (05 on) £37,188

The best performers of 2009

Make
    Model
    Cash lost during 2009

Honda
    Jazz (08 on)
    £1379

Fiat
    500 (08 on)
    £1460

SEAT
    Ibiza (08 on)
    £1552

Hyundai
    i10 (08 on)
    £1650

Mazda
    2 (07 on)
    £1702

Kia
    Picanto (04 on)
    £1760

Volkswagen
    Fox (06 on)
    £1781

Suzuki
    Swift (05 on)
    £1900

Toyota
    Aygo (05 on)
    £2148

Mitsubishi
    i (07 on)
    £2271

Leave a comment:

• manclarky
    replied
    Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
    Depreciation will cost you loads more than fuel, so buy carefully
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with that. Admittedly, I possibly drive more than average (66 miles each way = 660 miles / week = 30,000+pa), but I spend over £150 a week on fuel - but even a modest car could easily spend £100 a week.

Assuming 3 years, that's £15k - and still £5k per annum. Not too many cars would lose £15k in depreciation over 3 years, especially if bought second hand.

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    I have a second interview next week for a role based 30 miles away, so 300 miles a week which I would commute by car.

I have been looking to buying a second car anyway but looking a petrol options until now. Would the 300 miles a week justify looking at diesel options given the higher economy mpgs, or would the savings be negligable, given that diesel is generally more expensive than petrol anyway ?
    300 miles + on a gallon here on topgear

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Alternatively, how about a Passat?

Lucky Dip : Volkswagon Passat Coupe MK1

Newer than Milan's!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Perfect diesel contractors car:

Lucky Dip : london Taxi Cab

Great for a bit of moonlighting on the way home.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    If there was a problem with the engine electrics that would more then likely be caused by dirt on the flywheel that then gives false readings to the sensor and EMU. A squirt of window cleaner through the vent would fix that
    It was two main issues, one the driver leccy window only opened in 2mm steps - bit annoying at parking booths...

But the main one was a total loss of any attempt to start, not even a whirring of the bendix let alone any starter motor activity. 10 mins later and it would be fine. Battery was fine, alternator fine....

And on top it was losing water, plus it blew headlamp bulbs with annoying regularity, plus I fancied an Alfa!

Paid £450 for the Pug, flogged it for £300 after two years.

Nice car, enjoyed owning it but the Alfa is eons better for me...

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Was old - P reg, 208,000 miles on it when the electrics went wonky so I flogged it.
    If there was a problem with the engine electrics that would more then likely be caused by dirt on the flywheel that then gives false readings to the sensor and EMU. A squirt of window cleaner through the vent would fix that

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Obviously something wrong with your Pug. The PSU 1.9TD was one of the best made that’s why taxi drivers bought the 300,000 to 500,000 miles are not uncommon.
    Was old - P reg, 208,000 miles on it when the electrics went wonky so I flogged it.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    When I did my 500 miles a week contract, I had a diesel Pug 405, never got more than 44mpg from it. Then I got an Alfa 166 (still have it) an I could get 42mpg out of it, more normally tho, 38mpg.

Diesel fuel more expensive, needs more regular servicing, plus that horrible diesel over-rev when changing gear, much prefer petrol.

Obviously something wrong with your Pug. The PSU 1.9TD was one of the best made that’s why taxi drivers bought the 300,000 to 500,000 miles are not uncommon.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    When I did my 500 miles a week contract, I had a diesel Pug 405, never got more than 44mpg from it. Then I got an Alfa 166 (still have it) an I could get 42mpg out of it, more normally tho, 38mpg.

Diesel fuel more expensive, needs more regular servicing, plus that horrible diesel over-rev when changing gear, much prefer petrol.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    /Agree on all counts.

I'd think with the higher tax rate on diesel fuel and the premium you pay for the vehicle to start off with unless you're doing a fairly high mileage it's debatable if there's any financial benefit to diesel these days.
    3.6p per mile cheaper with diesel according to my (corrected by GingerJedi) calculations. That's a tenner a week based on the OP's predicted mileage.
    Last edited by DaveB; 7 February 2011, 16:37.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Diesels tend to have a lot more torque at low revs making it easier to drive without spinning the wheels.

Waxing of diesel fuel isn't an issue these days as additives are used to prevent it happening. My Diesel engined Volvo started and ran quite happily at -14 during the recent cold snap.

Having more weight over the driving wheels helps a lot with low speed grip in slippery conditions as well.
    /Agree on all counts.

I'd think with the higher tax rate on diesel fuel and the premium you pay for the vehicle to start off with unless you're doing a fairly high mileage it's debatable if there's any financial benefit to diesel these days.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I'm curious to know why a diesel is better in snowy conditions, seeing diesel starts to turn to wax in cold temperatures and petrol doesn't?

Diesel engines tend to be heavier too, which is no advantage on snow.

Diesels tend to have a lot more torque at low revs making it easier to drive without spinning the wheels.

Waxing of diesel fuel isn't an issue these days as additives are used to prevent it happening. My Diesel engined Volvo started and ran quite happily at -14 during the recent cold snap.

Having more weight over the driving wheels helps a lot with low speed grip in slippery conditions as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X