• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Visiting Dubai

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Visiting Dubai"

Collapse

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by pastalista View Post
    Just as everywhere else, Dubai wasn't immune from the financial crisis
    wasn't immune? It was the bleeding epicentre of the financial crisis!

Leave a comment:

• pastalista
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    While you are there, why not visit the slave labour camps of Sonapur, just outside the city, where you can meet the construction workers who built the hotel you will be staying in.

YouTube - Dubai labour camp - Sonapur
    This certainly was a problem, as was the number of deaths on the buildings sites as the pressure to get the jobs finished grew.

Just as everywhere else, Dubai wasn't immune from the financial crisis and at one point there were lines of Porsches and Mercs and BMWs at the airport with the keys still inside left behind by people who couldn't afford the payments anymore.

The Royal Family then went through a period of forgetting that they were supposed to be liberal and shut down a lot of the communication links and blogs of people trying to tell all about the problems (including Atlantis leaking, the World sinking and raw sewage rolling up onto Jumeirah Beach because the drivers of the sewage trucks got fed up with waiting in the queues for the sewage plant and unscrewed the manholes and dumped their loads straight into the sea).

After a bit of a mad period, they got a grip and started to resolve the problems, including sorting out the camps and ensuring that the working hours that avoid the midday heat were being adhered to. They also took care of the problems with sewage and other issues.

There is no doubt that Dubai has been overdeveloped (the Benidorm problem) and the selling of cheap package tours has not helped matters. The desert is trying to reclaim the Emirate and some say it will win eventually.

The bigger problem will come when the oil that supports the tax free status of the place runs out. Dubai is not a big oil producer (hence the farsighted Royal Family taking the view that they needed to do something else instead). When the capital runs out, things will probably go downhill rapidly.

Dubai has already had to take loans and investment from Abu Dhabi (around $50bn so far) to bail it out and that is probably not the last of it.

I think that if you want to go, now is a good time before it all goes horribly wrong.

Pastalista

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    I worked there for a couple of years but in the time since I left it has probably changed beyond all recognition.

Here are the must dos that I would fit in to any trip if I were to go back:

Drive to Fujeirah on the other side of the peninsula. Very underdeveloped and there's a really nice hotel right on the beach. On the way, stop off at the Hatta Fort Hotel for lunch by the pool. Again, really nice location.

Back in Dubai, lunch at Hattam by the quayside where the dhows tie up. Just along from Emirates Bank International (where I worked). It's a traditional Arabic restaurant so its segregated but the freshly baked bread they serve with their shish kebabs are to die for. Excellent Shawarmas too.

Best bar was the Boston Bar on Al Diyafa street. Made to look just like the bar on Cheers. Back then, a bar had to be part of a hotel, don't know if that's changed.

Then try any one of several low rent bars in Bur Dubai (like the Arraf Castle). Watching "business" being transacted in these places can be very entertaining though you'll get no end of propositions yourself. I once took the "visa special" to Iran and back with a load of these girls. As there was no bog on the plane I missed what was surely the best opportunity I've ever had to join the mile high club

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Sounds like one of the adventures in Top Gear...

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Is it feasible to get from Dubai to Abu Dhabi by road?
    It is. And I will NEVER forget that journey. In a coach on the 'motorway' (a strip of tarmac on the sand) overtaking something while being overtaken by a petrol tanker which was on the sand which was being overtaken by a big Merc which was even further out on the sand.

To refer to what they do out there as 'driving' is a misnomer.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

except - dont drink the water.Also, Never forget, camels are sacred in Dubai, if you meet on in the street you have to give way, and pin a 50 riyal note to its fur, otherwise they take you to the square and remove your right hand. If you dont have a right hand, they chop off something else.
    and thats what happened to my mate - till there was nothing left of him except a shoe with a foot in it. sad. very sad
    Similar thing happened in prison there - Some drug dealer doing 20 years was caught stealing, so they lopped off a hand. Then the stupid git tried it again, so they chopped off the other. But then they stopped, after the governer was overheard saying to the chief warder "Hang on. This guy may be trying to escape one bit at a time".

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Looking at Google Maps I'm confused. I see The Palm, but then there seems to be another one which is just sand. Also called The Palm? Couldn't they think of anything more original?

Is it feasible to get from Dubai to Abu Dhabi by road?

Also, Google Maps kept forcing me to only see directions via public transport when I tried (e.g airport -> Palm Atlantis Hotel)... is that a Google thing or a random glitch?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    EO has some warnings about a friend of his who went to Dubai.

dead right mate. and its no laughing matter. he went all right, but he didnt come back.

and thats all I am going to say. schtumm. zip.

except - dont drink the water.Also, Never forget, camels are sacred in Dubai, if you meet on in the street you have to give way, and pin a 50 riyal note to its fur, otherwise they take you to the square and remove your right hand. If you dont have a right hand, they chop off something else.
    and thats what happened to my mate - till there was nothing left of him except a shoe with a foot in it. sad. very sad

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    The wife keeps going on about wanting to go to Dubai but I can't see the attraction to be honest. Sand - done it. Indoor skiiing - there's one a few miles up the road next to the huge shopping centre as well by the way. A big tall building - ooh! A load of unfinished buildings and some islands in the sea that probably don't look all that from ground level. What am I missing?

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    While you are there, why not visit the slave labour camps of Sonapur, just outside the city, where you can meet the construction workers who built the hotel you will be staying in.

YouTube - Dubai labour camp - Sonapur

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Don't get your cheque bounced...

Leave a comment:

• pastalista
    replied
    Dubai is fab

I've been to Dubai several times, mostly on holiday but a couple of times for work. The rules are very straightforward.

Don't take the p1ss. It's still a muslim country, even if it is more relaxed. Drinking in the hotels is fine, don't do it walking down the street.

Dress reasonably conservatively, but no need to cover from head to toe. Definitely not too much exposed flesh (both sexes), except on the beach of course.

Everyone I met was courteous, friendly and hospitable. Be the same back and all will be well.

It feels very safe there. Except when you are driving, which is definitely a contact sport. To be avoided unless you feel very brave.

Most of the good hotels (and there are many) have a car service which is great.

Jumeirah beach is lovely again, now they've sorted out the sewage problems.

There is a huge amount to do there and I would thoroughly recommend the desert safari in 4*4. Great fun. The malls are great, but once you've been to one..........

Lots of good restaurants.

It's pricey but great for a short break. I've stayed at the Burj Al Arab, the Mina A'Salam and the Dar al Masyaf and friends have stayed at the Marriot and the Wave (The Jumeirah Beach hotel) and said they were great. The Burj is a real "experience" but not a great holiday hotel IMO. Better off at the Dar al Masyaf or Mina A'Salam (same complex - Madinat Jumeirah) as the complex is great - you get around it on boats. Good food and great pools.

Best time to go is October through April (more temperate) but if you like it hot (and I do mean 50c hot) then the rest of the year is great too.

I find it's similar to Vegas in that too much of it is not desirable. I enjoyed it both times when I went for 5 nights but I spent 10 nights in Vegas and it was too much. I spent 8 nights in Dubai and I had definitely had enough. Sensory overload.

It is a blast, however, and I for one would recommend it.

Pastalista

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    as long as it's in bags and the locals can't see it, it's fine.
    Quiet.

And if they happen to see it then you'll get your head chopped off.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    EO has some warnings about a friend of his who went to Dubai.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Shopping.

Can't really get anywhere without a car, think USA gated estates. But driving in Dubai can be dangerous.
    Agree with AP re car but Taxi's are numerous and cheap so you don't need to hire one.

Mostly you need a car to escape the heat.

Driving is an experience. I didn't do it my self but my brother picked me up from Abu Dhabi and drove me back to his place and the trip was bloody scary - comfy though in a big f<ck off 4x4

Leave a comment:

Working...
X