• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interesting lifestyle"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    I know a bloke who live in Thailand yet contracts in Germany and only has to come here for a couple of times a year for a 6 week visit (I think the company where he works make sure that his visits are timed when the weather is the coldest )

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    I knew someone who contracted in South Africa for six months and six months in Canada. He escaped winter for many years.

Not for me unless the family could tag along.
    I did the 4 months in India the rest split London/Ireland depending on the year. Missed the winter for the last 4 years. Now freezing my off in Zurich.

Learnt my lesson off to NZ in October.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    I knew someone who contracted in South Africa for six months and six months in Canada. He escaped winter for many years.

Not for me unless the family could tag along.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I used to know a contractor (nearing retirement) who used to spend 6 months in Portugal and 6 months contracting in UK.
    Hector, sorted that out. You can only do 6 months in the first year, 3 months in 2nd and 3rd year. 4th year you are his

Good old days, travel days not counted.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I used to know a contractor (nearing retirement) who used to spend 6 months in Portugal and 6 months contracting in UK.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I'd rather earn the money while I can and build up my reserves.
    WCS

There's money in them there distant hills. Although I agree it's not for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Sounds like a very sad life. Not for me. I'd rather live off reserves and wait for a family friendly local gig.
    I'd rather earn the money while I can and build up my reserves.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Just had a pow-wow with a contractor who hs a large bungalow with 9 cats in Portugal, and commutes weekly to UK for work.

Always fancied doing something simlilar myself (minus the cats).

Who here actually cmmutes to a different country on a weekly basis?
    Sounds like a very sad life. Not for me. I'd rather live off reserves and wait for a family friendly local gig.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    I will soon be doing this, spending weekends in Germany and Monday to Thursday in Switzerland, Friday is working from "home" in Germany.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Just had a pow-wow with a contractor who hs a large bungalow with 9 cats in Portugal, and commutes weekly to UK for work.

I don't commute now as I want to stay non-dom, I have to stay out of UK until after June.
    I have done it before but only when I was staying in a hotel.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied

Me, from Monaco, my wife pays for the private jet as I don't earn a salary.

Yours,

P. Green

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied

Well, most weeks anyway.

Client pays for the flights though.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    started a topic Interesting lifestyle

Interesting lifestyle

Working...
X