• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Things you read that make you laugh uncontrollably to yourself on public transport"

Collapse

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    That happen to me a couple of weeks ago.

There was me, innocently perusing the papers a few minutes before coming into St. Pancras when I came upon this page...

Meet Heidi the cross-eyed opossum | Metro.co.uk

It caught me on the hop and I had to laugh quietly so sounded like a manic muttley and since I was crying I didn't have time to sort myself out before getting off the train. I looked like a panda on speed.
    Brilliant!

Also this linky from same paper:

Metro

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    That happen to me a couple of weeks ago.

There was me, innocently perusing the papers a few minutes before coming into St. Pancras when I came upon this page...

Meet Heidi the cross-eyed opossum | Metro.co.uk

It caught me on the hop and I had to laugh quietly so sounded like a manic muttley and since I was crying I didn't have time to sort myself out before getting off the train. I looked like a panda on speed.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    He is funny.

YouTube - Stewart Lee On Scotland

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    I'm working on one of the most dsyfunctional teams I have ever come across.
    Normal.

My "functional manager" is in another country and only ever communicates over those annoying IM thingies.
    Sorry, a what?

My "line manager" sits about eight feet away from me hiding behind a big bank of monitors, I last had a meaning conversation with him about a month ago.
    Is he young?

My "users" are all in another country and do not seem remotely interested in what I am producing for them.
    They aren't. This is the fault of your two managers you previously mentioned, along with corporate history you can do nothing about.

Its a seriously weird situation. Or maybe its just normal for pemiedom, I don't know. But they are paying me stoopid money so I'm hanging in for now.
    Hit your targets. Collect the cash. If you are bored then this is a good time to reskill. Find out what's popular on the job boards and get good at it. Try and get some experience of it at work so you can count it on your CV.

Hang in there bud.

SY01

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

Just because they bore you titless doesn't mean things aren't working out.
    This is essentially the problem I think. I am bored seriously titless. Even more titless than when I was out in NL and I thought that was bad.

I'm working on one of the most dsyfunctional teams I have ever come across. My "functional manager" is in another country and only ever communicates over those annoying IM thingies. My "line manager" sits about eight feet away from me hiding behind a big bank of monitors, I last had a meaningful conversation with him about a month ago. My "users" are all in another country and do not seem remotely interested in what I am producing for them.

Its a seriously weird situation. Or maybe its just normal for pemiedom, I don't know. But they are paying me stoopid money so I'm hanging in for now.
    Last edited by moorfield; 22 January 2011, 00:25.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I fear it will be not too much longer. It's not working out too well,
    as I might have alluded to in my sawing off my fingers post earlier this week.

If I have the time I'll post more on this.

But for now I'm wintering in the cosy warm glow of permiedom doing some skilling up and bunging the occasional sickie.
    Aww chin up fella. Got your health.

Just because they bore you titless doesn't mean things aren't working out. Remember how to be a permie again. And remember it's only temporary. Contracting work will return.

Waiting to hear more about what specifically is going wrong.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    permie
    I fear it will be not too much longer. It's not working out too well,
    as I might have alluded to in my sawing off my fingers post earlier this week.

If I have the time I'll post more on this.

But for now I'm wintering in the cosy warm glow of permiedom doing some skilling up and bunging the occasional sickie.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Public transport!

Peasant
    permie

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Awright just one then, can't be arsed to interrupt my listening pleasure to search YouTube.

YouTube - Stewart Lee - The Values Of The Carphone Warehouse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdByz...eature=related
    Last edited by moorfield; 21 January 2011, 22:35.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Too many to start listing here.

Although I think it helps if you've seen Stewart Lee before so you know his delivery style as you read some of the transcripts.
    Awright just one then, can't be arsed to interrupt my listening pleasure to search YouTube.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Public transport!

Peasant.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Examples?
    Too many to start listing here.

Although I think it helps if you've seen Stewart Lee before so you know his delivery style as you read some of the transcripts.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    You had to be there.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Examples?

Leave a comment:

• Things you read that make you laugh uncontrollably to yourself on public transport

This has never happened to me before. Until today.

I was reading Stewart Lee's Life and Deaths of a Stand Up Comedian book on the train home this evening, and it has had me crying uncontrollably with laughter all the way home.

I'm still having trouble typing this as I think about his Ang Lee / Incredible Hulk gag which started it all off.

Stewart Lee is a genius.

Working...
X