• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why are all those rooves collapsing?"

Collapse

• stackpole
    replied
    I heard some reporter on Radio Five Live blaming a thaw, stating knowledgeably that as snow melts it gets heavier.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    xx

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    Nah mate, that should be "teef", innit?
    Laughing gear, if you are an irritating fat squeaky voiced telly chef from Henley on Thames.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    And "tooths" or "toofs", depending on where you are on the elocution chavline.
    Nah mate, that should be "teef", innit?

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    And "tooths" or "toofs", depending on where you are on the elocution chavline.

Leave a comment:

• Jakes Daddy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    Actually either Roofs or Rooves may be used. Like Scarfs and Scarves.
    Also hoofs and hooves ??? or is that just for the more working class amongst us ?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp
    Roofs.
    Actually either Roofs or Rooves may be used. Like Scarfs and Scarves.

Leave a comment:

• Jakes Daddy
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    Don't be silly. This is to do with how newspapers report events. There's a proper term for this effect, I leave it as a task for the reader to google it up. Essentially if something newsworthy happens, it obviously gets in the news, then if another similar event happens, it will also be reported. Now the fun bit happens: the journalist lacking details to fill his column inches because the new event happened so recently (s)he refers to the previous event they do have details for. This makes a series of events more prominent, because subsequent events get more column inches and the previous events are discussed again.
    I tend to agree with Threaded on this - its all about whether the journos have anything better to report on at the time.
    I remember a few years ago there was a spate of reports about 'nasty' dogs mauling the faces off young kiddies. Was this a new phenonemum where pit bulls thought 'hmmm, I wonder what a 5 year olds nose tastes like' ? Have the pit bulls now decided that noses dont taste nice and that its a taste thats likely to get them put down ??
    No, of course not. Such things have always happened, and always will do - its just whether they make the news or not, dependant on what else of interest is happening in the world.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp
    Roofs.
    Ah! I was wondering what 'rooves' were!

Leave a comment:

• Clog II The Avenger
    replied
    Snow on the roof

Some years ago three of us were removing the snow from the roof of our friend's Gasthof. Two of us went inside for a tea break leaving the third on the roof. After a few minutes there was a sound like thunder and the whole lot of snow came down followed by our friend. He was left dangling from a rope outside the window. There were howls of laughter

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Unless snow is now made with heavier water? Threaded, you're an expert.
    Don't be silly. This is to do with how newspapers report events. There's a proper term for this effect, I leave it as a task for the reader to google it up. Essentially if something newsworthy happens, it obviously gets in the news, then if another similar event happens, it will also be reported. Now the fun bit happens: the journalist lacking details to fill his column inches because the new event happened so recently (s)he refers to the previous event they do have details for. This makes a series of events more prominent, because subsequent events get more column inches and the previous events are discussed again.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Roofs.

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    No Thaws

I think that, escpecially in Eastern Europe it has been a few degress colder and consistantly colder that average causing the snow to freeze and never really thaw out. New snow falls and the same thing happens until several tons of ice are packed on top of a structure causing it to collapse.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    No it really isn't surprising, there really was unusually huge amounts of snow.
    I was over in Bavaria at the weekend, and even then the rooves still had mountains of snow on them.

Snow is only light and fluffy when it first falls. After while it takes on the consistency and weight of concrete.

Leave a comment:

• Chappo
    replied
    wrong type of snow? - or maybe the leaves?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X