• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Too many jobs!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Too many jobs!"

Collapse

• Freamon
    replied
    The Bob to Local exchange rate for IT workers is still about 8:1, from what I've seen. Although 1 local might actually get you more useful output than 8 bobs (sometimes they just don't do the needful).

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    It's been obvious for years slide rules would become a rarity. So over the years I've snapped up any I see in charity shops and such like, and now have a box full.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Slide rules? Never figured them out.

I am starting to kick myself for the things I threw away. I had one of the first HP calculators about £170 in early 70s. Bet it would be a worth a bit by now.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    u da man

have you met Malc ?

Milan.
    He your sockie? He'll have to meet mine then.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Not much use, it must be admitted, for adding.

Multiplying and dividing though, ace.
    also

sin/cos
    Logs
    Roots

Depends what sort (and size) you have.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    u da man

have you met Malc ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Xog and Zeity,

can you two use slide rules ?

what on earth are they for ?

Milan.
    Hey benesy, I can use a circular slide rule for calculating track vectors, airspeeds, climb/descents, flight time, distances, and fuel consumption calcs. I can even do this on my Navitimer.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Xog and Zeity,

Milan.
    I bet Malc and Gricer could find a use for them.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Agree with Solzenytzin. (the bit I could be arsed to read anyway)

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Xog and Zeity,

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    my point being that the Maths requirement for neither is particularly onerous
    Pretty onerous in my recollection (but we did PROPER degrees in those days) but anyway relevant to a real career which I think is what d00000000000000gh was saying.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Agree with Xog (the bit I could be arsed to read anyway).

Milan.
    Agree with milan. (the bit I could be arsed to read anyway)

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    How many decades before we are struggling to compete with India's aircraft industry I wonder?

Agree with Xog (the bit I could be arsed to read anyway).

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Of course it is.

It's Applied Maths, dumbo.

You know, stuff that's actually of some use to someone rather that abstract crap that no one will care about for another 3 centuries for designing Warp Drive MkII (assuming that you lot haven't blown yerselves up by then of course, under which circumstance merely counting to twenty will come in handy).
    All applied maths was pure once - the reason it is useful is that mathematicians have used rigour and abstraction to make it fool proof.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Agree with Beans (the bit I could be arsed to read anyway). You will never get an exact match of requirements and candidates at any time in any area but shortage drives salaries and a perception of high salaries entices more people into the professsion.

If you rush to fill every short term gap from outside, because of course they do not leave when there is no shortage, you destroy the dynamics of our economy. If they do leave they take their expertise with them. How many decades before we are struggling to compete with India's aircraft industry I wonder?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X