• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is anyone bothered by the current "terror threat level"?"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    Your still focusing on the way they died, and forget calling it fate or destiny, but what i am interested in is why was that child in that street at exactly the time that drunk driver hit them were they just that unlucky,(the belief in luck is the same as believing in fate or destiny) what if they had crossed the road or just left the house 5 seconds later or earlier the car would have missed them
    True, but the danger is if you start believing in fate you stop taking responsibility. The "could be hit by a bus" argument implies being hit by a bus is a random occurrence, whereas I'd suggest people who are hit by busses are probably to blame because they didn't look. It's also true that they could have avoided the accident by leaving the house 5 seconds later, but that's insignificant.

The unlucky child hit by a drunk driver could have looked, could have been given a lift to school, could have walked down the road to use a footbridge, or could have stayed at home. None of these things are random. 99.9% of what put the child there at that time were conscious decisions, not luck.

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    No fate but what we make.

Fate is just an excuse people use to avoid responsibility. Say you drive drunk, go through a red light, and kill some children crossing the road. You wouldn't get very far saying "it was just their time to die".
    Your still focusing on the way they died, and forget calling it fate or destiny, but what i am interested in is why was that child in that street at exactly the time that drunk driver hit them were they just that unlucky,(the belief in luck is the same as believing in fate or destiny) what if they had crossed the road or just left the house 5 seconds later or earlier the car would have missed them

Leave a comment:

• EC4N
    replied
    Given the fact that in 2009 more that 100,000 people were stopped and searched by police under counter-terrorism powers and yet no one was charged for terrorism related offences, how do you actually guage the viability of a perceived terror threat?

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    kill some children crossing the road. You wouldn't get very far saying "it was just their time to die".

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    the fate arguement is propogated by religion, designed to keep you docile and accept your "fate", cos if you do that then you're less likely to stand up to and question the powers that be
    Could be, or it could be to try and pacify people who are afraid/terrified of dying/death.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    the fate arguement is propogated by religion, designed to keep you docile and accept your "fate", cos if you do that then you're less likely to stand up to and question the powers that be
    No fate but what we make.

Fate is just an excuse people use to avoid responsibility. Say you drive drunk, go through a red light, and kill some children crossing the road. You wouldn't get very far saying "it was just their time to die".

If you choose to go to London, ride a tube train every day, and get killed in a terrorist attack, then nobody would say it was your fault. But at the same time it was a decision you made to run the risk of doing that, so you are responsible for your own death to a small degree. It's not a random decision, like turning left instead of right, or leaving the house 5 minutes later, it's a conscious decision to take a risk.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    no.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Option 3 for me. There will always be the 'possibility' of an attack, like there will always be the possibility of being hit by a bus or getting mugged.
    WZS.

No different to when the loons from the IRA were blowing stuff up.

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Fate. Definitely interesting.

Or...a load of old bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    Accident \ terrorist attack \ being knocked down by a bus the method is irrelevant, the point i am making is that a set of circumstances\occurances has brought that person to that place at that point in their life, Why? as i said before they could have done a million things that would have stopped them being at that place at that time but they did not so it was fate or if you like their destiny to be there.

I am in no way relegious its just an interesting view point
    Fate. Definitely interesting.

Or...a load of old bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I'll be going through Euston between 16:00 to 17:00. If I don't log on after that you know what happened!

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    We're all going to die at some point, so why worry

Besides if there was a real threat to the public, do you think the government would tell us ?

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'm not entiiiiiiiiiiirely sure I agree with your reasoning here!

Accidents happen, sure. I think the huge difference is that a terrorist act is carried out to deliberately kill / maim people.
    Accident \ terrorist attack \ being knocked down by a bus the method is irrelevant, the point i am making is that a set of circumstances\occurances has brought that person to that place at that point in their life, Why? as i said before they could have done a million things that would have stopped them being at that place at that time but they did not so it was fate or if you like their destiny to be there.

I am in no way relegious its just an interesting view point

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    FATE?

Do me a favour!

Life ain't fair and that's a good thing!!!!

Live with it.

Tone

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Mine too. But if did have to go, this sort of carry-on wouldn't change my plans.

As Zippy said, getting hit by a bus is a 'possiblility'.
    Yeah, I would go down t'big smoke if I had to. But I still hate it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X