• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jury Service Summons"

Collapse

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Okay, so I have spoken to both the Jury Summoning Bureau and the PCG and explained my situation.

The JSB have advised that I can accept the summons and should I find a contract up to 2 weeks before the jury service is due to commence I can apply for a deferral. So if I find a contract I defer, if I don't find a contract I attend.

The PCG have confirmed that as I am not a member of the PCG currently then the jury service cover does not apply (fair enough). If I become a member and I have deferred I can claim under this cover once called up again if I am in contract.

So all above board (Clippy) and gives me some options.
    Well done for doing what you should have done in the first place - contacted the Jury Service.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Okay, so I have spoken to both the Jury Summoning Bureau and the PCG and explained my situation.

The JSB have advised that I can accept the summons and should I find a contract up to 2 weeks before the jury service is due to commence I can apply for a deferral. So if I find a contract I defer, if I don't find a contract I attend.

The PCG have confirmed that as I am not a member of the PCG currently then the jury service cover does not apply (fair enough). If I become a member and I have deferred I can claim under this cover once called up again if I am in contract.

So all above board (Clippy) and gives me some options.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Why should I have to be forced by law to administrate over a sub section of society, I earn my daily rate, pay my taxes, it is not my problem.

I do not know what system they use to select people for jury, the girly gets called nearly every year, each time she writes back and tells them she is exempt, it has taken them 20 years to get to me again.
    So you're cross at the thought of being called, and cross at only being called every 20 years.

You're becoming a Grumpy Old Git, minestrone.

Welcome to the club!

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I go down the courts pretty often to see justice being done and the whole thing is a farce, lawyers who speak at 10 words a minute to get the most out of their daily rate, the police who can hardly string 5 words together. Why should I have to be forced by law to administrate over a sub section of society, I earn my daily rate, pay my taxes, it is not my problem.

I do not know what system they use to select people for jury, the girly gets called nearly every year, each time she writes back and tells them she is exempt, it has taken them 20 years to get to me again.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    In futue, remove yourself from the electoral register...

Tone
    Which is fine until you try to obtain any financial services products .....

Much as it pains me to agree with Alexei, we should all be ******* pleased that this system exists and support it on the very rare occasion that it places a demand upon us.

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    I have been summoned for jury service in February. I need to try and defer as this will i) affect my looking for a new contract role ii) if I am offered a new role between now and Feb I would need to tell client co before I start which could affect me being offered the role.

Side to this I have just read about the PCG jury service insurance, but don't have membership and need to confirm if I can take out membership now and then claim if I do proceed.

Any advice ?

In futue, remove yourself from the electoral register...

Tone

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Any advice ?
    I've replied on this also before.

Just pop your summons back in the post with "No longer at this address / Return to sender on it".

Worked for me.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    I got called up for Jury service when i was 18, i never bothered turning up to court on the day and never told them i was not turning up, never heard a thing about it ever again.
    That's the best way to get out of it according to my legally qualified/practising friends.

Not that I'm suggesting anyone does this......

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    Mind you i would go now if i got the chance but i probably still have a warrant out for my arrest for non show
    A certain percentage of RM letters never get to their final destination or intended recipient, which courts know happens all the time* so you have nothing to worry about.

*I wonder how many court cases in all courts there are, where one party or the other including their legal team doesn't argue they didn't receive a letter in the post.

Leave a comment:

• LazyFan
    replied
    Jury Nullification

Hi,

In the event that you are asked to turn up, tell the registrar that they should inform the Judge and Briefs of your case that you will be exercising your right to Jury Nullification and informing the other Jurors of this right as well. And that you wish to make it clear well in advance to everyone that you will be doing this so, there can be no complaints later on.

Judges hate Jury Nullification as it can lead to an actual change in the law by setting precedents; they often fail to inform the Jury of this right and quietly hide it through lack of transparency. If you state up front that you will be blabbing on about it everywhere, then you are stating your right to ignore the laws of the land (which is the Judges in their minds) so, they will have you out of court as soon as (trouble maker). And there will be no come back as it is within your rights and you have been honest by stating so, up front at the start. So, as not to cause trouble of course

This is a far safer way of being excused from any cases now and in the future, than turning up with the “Star Trek Hang the Judges High” T-Shirt, which will only get you in trouble and immediately assigned to the longest case in history.

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    I got called up for Jury service when i was 18, i never bothered turning up to court on the day and never told them i was not turning up, never heard a thing about it ever again.
    Mind you i would go now if i got the chance but i probably still have a warrant out for my arrest for non show

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Was down at the Sheridan trial a few times last year. 3 months the jury was in for. That is a massive amount of lost earnings to a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I'm a bit dissapointed I have never been called - been insured for ages too.
    I was asked in 1993/4, told them I was a student (which was the case), and they let me off. Haven't been asked since.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    1) The Michael Barrymore case - 'I hate poofters me!' - Juror is prejudiced
    ah, but which way? prejudiced as in "send him down!" or prejudiced as in "I don't care how he drowned!" ? Maybe that would be the ideal position of disconnected impartiality.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    I'm a bit dissapointed I have never been called - been insured for ages too.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I wonder how many people on here would refuse to be in the jury when ATW is finally on trial
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

Working...
X