• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jury Service Summons

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    In futue, remove yourself from the electoral register...

Tone
    Which is fine until you try to obtain any financial services products .....

Much as it pains me to agree with Alexei, we should all be ******* pleased that this system exists and support it on the very rare occasion that it places a demand upon us.

Comment

I go down the courts pretty often to see justice being done and the whole thing is a farce, lawyers who speak at 10 words a minute to get the most out of their daily rate, the police who can hardly string 5 words together. Why should I have to be forced by law to administrate over a sub section of society, I earn my daily rate, pay my taxes, it is not my problem.

I do not know what system they use to select people for jury, the girly gets called nearly every year, each time she writes back and tells them she is exempt, it has taken them 20 years to get to me again.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        Why should I have to be forced by law to administrate over a sub section of society, I earn my daily rate, pay my taxes, it is not my problem.

I do not know what system they use to select people for jury, the girly gets called nearly every year, each time she writes back and tells them she is exempt, it has taken them 20 years to get to me again.
        So you're cross at the thought of being called, and cross at only being called every 20 years.

You're becoming a Grumpy Old Git, minestrone.

Welcome to the club!
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Okay, so I have spoken to both the Jury Summoning Bureau and the PCG and explained my situation.

The JSB have advised that I can accept the summons and should I find a contract up to 2 weeks before the jury service is due to commence I can apply for a deferral. So if I find a contract I defer, if I don't find a contract I attend.

The PCG have confirmed that as I am not a member of the PCG currently then the jury service cover does not apply (fair enough). If I become a member and I have deferred I can claim under this cover once called up again if I am in contract.

So all above board (Clippy) and gives me some options.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            Okay, so I have spoken to both the Jury Summoning Bureau and the PCG and explained my situation.

The JSB have advised that I can accept the summons and should I find a contract up to 2 weeks before the jury service is due to commence I can apply for a deferral. So if I find a contract I defer, if I don't find a contract I attend.

The PCG have confirmed that as I am not a member of the PCG currently then the jury service cover does not apply (fair enough). If I become a member and I have deferred I can claim under this cover once called up again if I am in contract.

So all above board (Clippy) and gives me some options.
            Well done for doing what you should have done in the first place - contacted the Jury Service.

Comment

Working...
            X