• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Science quiz

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Science quiz"

Collapse

• lightng
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I've been thinking about this for a few months, because I was a bit suprised to learn what an unknown nugget of information it is.
    My son in law who is of an engineering frame of mind, didnt know it. maybe gricerboy does

the question is this

how does a steam engine work?

Steam engines are bad as they use the soon to be banned substance dihydrogen monoxide in great quantities. You of all people should know this EO.

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    maybe gricerboy does
    While I do know how a steam engine converts the energy released from burning coal into locomotive power, I have to confess to not being a big kettlehead.

Get me on the mechanics of diesel hydraulic locomotion (which powered the mighty westerns, hymeks and warships that used to grace the western region from the 1950s to the 1970s) and I'm anyone's.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Condensing engines relied on atmospheric pressure and had horrible (in later steam terms) efficiencies, admittedly in the days of low pressure steam the ability to make good tolerance cylinders, pistons and valves was limited. Sub 10% efficiencies is normal for these engines and the whole engine has to be massive.
    Steam engines got really effective with double and triple expansion engines that recycled the waste steam from first to second then second to third cylinders, plus of course the engineering and materials had developed a lot. 30-50+% efficiency isn't uncommon for triple expansion.

There are loads of working static engines in museums around the country plus the railway and traction engines of course, interesting to look at if you like engineering.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    As a qualified chemical engineer I shall now embark on a proper explanation of the complex thermodynamics processe involved. No wait, I've forgotten it all. Maybe HyperD is a bit younger.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Since steam engines have been phased out there are no more dragons. I would loved to have seen a real one. Shame.
    Come over our place at Christmas. My father-in-law is bringing his.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Production may have peaked then but coal hasn't run out which was your original comment.
    Speak for yourself. I haven't got any, been having to use wood.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    UK coal production peaked almost 100 years ago. Do keep up.
    Production may have peaked then but coal hasn't run out which was your original comment.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Bollocks.
    UK coal production peaked almost 100 years ago. Do keep up.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    And don't forget the dragons. I remember seeing a Welsh documentary about a train driver called Ivor. He used to have a dragon live in the boiler of his steam engine.

Since steam engines have been phased out there are no more dragons. I would loved to have seen a real one. Shame.
    She was called Idris.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Steam engines were invented to solve the problem of getting water out of coal mines so that more coal could be mined to feed the steam engines. Pretty soon, all the coal was gone.
    And don't forget the dragons. I remember seeing a Welsh documentary about a train driver called Ivor. He used to have a dragon live in the boiler of his steam engine.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Steam engines were invented to solve the problem of getting water out of coal mines so that more coal could be mined to feed the steam engines. Pretty soon, all the coal was gone.
    Bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    spod and zeity have it.

its called a seperate condensing engine.

it doesnt rely on steam pressure to force a piston. It lets low pressure steam into a container, then sprinkles cold water on it. the steam condenses and creates a vacuum, whuch is then used to draw a piston down.

Watt watt

Larst week Oi cudden spell Hengineer, now I are one!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I find the Watt's Linkage particularly fascinating.

Every time I see one of those enormous old beam engines, typically used to pump water, I have to watch it in slow motion just to appreciate the majesty of the thing.
    they have some good stuff at Wigan Pier

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    spod and zeity have it.

its called a seperate condensing engine.

it doesnt rely on steam pressure to force a piston. It lets low pressure steam into a container, then sprinkles cold water on it. the steam condenses and creates a vacuum, whuch is then used to draw a piston down.

Watt watt

Leave a comment:

Working...
X