• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The War You Don't See"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    YouTube - Anonymous Strikes Back for WikiLeaks! (Operation Payback)

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    You expect journalists to give both sides of a story (that is their job)

Nice one!

Oh, that is so funny.

You almost make it sound like you mean it, too.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    What isn't really appreciated by us Brits is that in WWII the German forces conscripted eligible males from the countries they had occupied.
    It is appreciated by some

On DDay, half the enemy we faced were called Ost battalions, conscripted from Poles, Slavs, Russians but mostly Ukranians.
    They fought very poorly. If my dad had been a better shot we might have been able to see AtW being retrospectively un-conceived

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    WAtWS. The vast majority of casualties in each of those wars were civilians. Conscripting civilians, calling them soldiers, and putting them in the front line isn't very different to shifting the front line to where they live and killing them there. It also saves the cost of issuing uniforms. No wonder politicians like it.
    What isn't really appreciated by us Brits is that in WWII the German forces conscripted eligible males from the countries they had occupied.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Depends who you work for? Al Jazeera???
    Usual canard is that they are biased pro-islamicist whereas our media are more or less neutral. I have to say that it doesn't seem to me to be so.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    War correspondent seems like a particularly dangerous career. Who killed the most, the allies or the people who we bombed?
    Depends who you work for? Al Jazeera???

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    War correspondent seems like a particularly dangerous career. Who killed the most, the allies or the people who we bombed?

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    I agree 100% and that was also my thought. Hence I started to think about a trip to Iran.

I once visited refuge camps along the Burmese border taking up school supplies. Probably a stupid thing to do as I was on my own and had to hire locals to take me a couple of days up river. But was received well, visited the schools, met the teachers/children, the head of the village. Had a tour, was shown the bullet holes, shown how they lived, where they hid if they were attacked.

It's a small inconsequential thing, but if gives both sides. You expect journalists to give both sides of a story(that is their job), you cannot always just pop over for a couple of days.
    Oh dear.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    I haven't seen the program concerned but I'm assuming that it was meant to provoke a reaction.

However I would council you with the following "Unless you see it for yourself it's the truth as someone else sees it."
    I agree 100% and that was also my thought. Hence I started to think about a trip to Iran.

I once visited refuge camps along the Burmese border taking up school supplies. Probably a stupid thing to do as I was on my own and had to hire locals to take me a couple of days up river. But was received well, visited the schools, met the teachers/children, the head of the village. Had a tour, was shown the bullet holes, shown how they lived, where they hid if they were attacked.

It's a small inconsequential thing, but if gives both sides. You expect journalists to give both sides of a story(that is their job), you cannot always just pop over for a couple of days.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    If the move is made to attack Iran at some point in the future, then I'll be on the streets.
    Blooming heck MF , well done. you are 43 and you have learned that war is sh1t already. I guess that before you saw the program you thought it was all ok over there
    out of sight eh ?

when the yanks dropped that nuke on Hiroshima, they wern't targetting the barracks on water-lily road you know

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    More thought provoking than anything. I hadn't believed the sugar sweet pap the news turned out for the war, but the documentary went into the truth behind the propaganda.

It's main crux was how journalism didn't live up to it's part and was complicit in the propaganda.

If the move is made to attack Iran at some point in the future, then I'll be on the streets.
    I haven't seen the program concerned but I'm assuming that it was meant to provoke a reaction.

However I would council you with the following "Unless you see it for yourself it's the truth as someone else sees it."

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    You've watched a documentary that's upset you. Understandable.

Tomorrow is another day.
    More thought provoking than anything. I hadn't believed the sugar sweet pap the news turned out for the war, but the documentary went into the truth behind the propaganda.

It's main crux was how journalism didn't live up to it's part and was complicit in the propaganda.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    It's murder.
    In a combat situation it ain't even if civilians get hit.

Now if it's past battle then it can be war crime.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I've had a seven-year old pissing on my leg trying to get me shot by a sniper, I'd cheerfully have shot that little f*cker.
    Well sure are no Wilmslow if you know what I mean

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    It's murder.

Have some perspective.

******* warmonger.
    You've watched a documentary that's upset you. Understandable.

Tomorrow is another day.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X