• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Greatest toys of all time received for Christmas"

Collapse

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Yeah, +/- 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Yeah... am I?
    I thought you were fairly young CM!

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Is she?!
    Yeah... am I?

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    You're about my age

Is she?!

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    I got one of them when I was about 8. It was brilliant. I used to try and get my mate to storm the stairs whilst I sat at the top and opened up on him with everything.
    Mind you, don't think that my parents would have stretched to it if I hadn't broken my leg a few weeks before xmas as well.

Other than that, Subbuteo helped pass endless hours of fun.
    Never did get one, only one guy in the street had parents affluent enough (or got in hawk to a catalogue company), to get one. He was rather popular for a time.

I got Subbuteo but didn't get much time to play with it between my dad and uncle hogging it. They eventually created a local league and got it all organised with competitions and prizes.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I cried myself to sleep, because every other boy in the world had a Johnny seven, and I got a bit of lego instead

I got one of them when I was about 8. It was brilliant. I used to try and get my mate to storm the stairs whilst I sat at the top and opened up on him with everything.
    Mind you, don't think that my parents would have stretched to it if I hadn't broken my leg a few weeks before xmas as well.

Other than that, Subbuteo helped pass endless hours of fun.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    A BSA Meteor Super Air Rifle in .22 calibre when i was 13 :-)
    Kewl! You jammy bugger.

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Meccano 10
    Meccano 10. The one that came with the wooden chest to hold it? You jammy bugger. I had a cousin with that and I begged for the same and got a Meccano 2. It was crap. I was too young for it.

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    my favourite was my very first Horny train set.
    Typo of the week!

Might not surprise you to hear that my favourite was my very first Horny train set. It consisted of an oval of track, a station and 3 LMS carriages pulled by BR standard class 7 no. 70013 Oliver Cromwell.
    Mine was 2nd hand from the church jumble sale when I was 10. The diesel engine did not run.

Two Christmases later, I got the all-time classic GWR Freight Set. Saddle tank engine and a variety of rolling stick. An oval AND a siding AND a cardboard tunnel!

I laid the dead diesel by the track as a symbol of Britain's rejection of smelly skanky fuel-oil locos and a return to proper steam. That has been the theme of all my layouts since.

My train set is listed as a specific item on my contents insurance.

Another favourite of mine was Sticklebrix, anyone remember that?
    Hell on Earth, when you stood on it.

Worst was actually bloody Tiny Tears! She had a hole in her arse with a plug
    OMG

and you filled her up with water
    OMG

and then squeezed her. She cried and pee'd at the same time.
    You're about my age, so you might remember. What was the name of that true film about the woman with multiple personalities who, it turned out during analysis, had been tortured as a little girl by being hung upside down and filled up with water via a funnel...?

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    The Mahmood steam engine. They really worked
    When I was ickle, a lad up the road had one of those. IIRC, he topped it up with meths, via a little dropper. I would have been about 3. I've been a sucker for steam ever since.

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    For my 14th Birthday I got a 48k Zx Spectrum, I can still remember trying to code assembler in hexadecimal I don't think my eyes ever quite recovered from it. Oh how I laughed conning my parents into thinking I wanted it for educational purposes, when really I want it to play games
    Oh, how your parents laughed, letting you think they thought you wanted it for educational purposes. But who was right in the long run, you old ColdFusion developer?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I think my Dad got a bonus or a promotion the year I got a Matchbox SuperFast Hot Wheels Loop-the-Loop.

It was about 12 foot of track, with a loop, and a launcher thingy.

Mine had red track.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Probably my first telescope, came in the biggest box I'd ever seen wrapped. 2.5inch reafractor, equatorial mount with a selection of lens and eyepieces, filters and a gadget for projecting an image of the sun onto a screen to see sunspots.

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    I had a computacar.
    Computacar Ad 1969 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - Aggregate
    Programming it by punched card came in hand later when I learned FORTRAN..........

( don't have an old fogey smiley....)

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    [QUOTE=gingerjedi;1249967]This:

I ended up with a Philips G7000:

Only last week I looked at buying a 'Woody' Atari 2600 to fill that void!

Also another year I got a BBC Model B which was never quite as good on the games front as the ZX Spectrum. That said, it was a jolly good computer and I learnt Basic on it (I was only ten).

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Tin can alley, why can't they make toy guns like they used to. I also had a magnet ball shooting game that was pretty good.

Lego,Atari 2600(?), and evil kennel were also good.

The best had to be my raleigh burner though, I spent more time on that bike than anything else.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    One Christmas I got a bike with gears on it. Also had some go faster stripes.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    For my 14th Birthday I got a 48k Zx Spectrum, I can still remember trying to code assembler in hexidecimal I don't think my eyes ever quite recovered from it

Oh how I laughed conning my parents into thinking I wanted it for educational purposes, when really I want it to play games

3D Ant Attack, the Ultimate Play The Game (now Rare) stuff like Jet Pac, and KnightLore, Hungry Horrace, Football Manager, Doomdarks Revenge I remember it well and anyone remember playing Hunter Killer you can setup deathmatches if you had a modem!

And a whole 48k, I can remember people saying just get the 16k one you'll never need 48k, and soon enough 16k wasn't enough for gaming

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I loved my Lego but my best present was a train set.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X