• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ever had a contrct like this?"

Collapse

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    They got some decent females there now? What happened to Mike?

PS You probably murdered him in some hideous way to take the TL position. There's a reason people study ancient literature.
    Mike is up in Lancashire (Exiled). I'm just working on my next round of proscriptions and than I'll be programme manager

I'm also having a Neroian orgy today with the new starter and the cleaning lady.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    the way the girlie new starter does
    They got some decent females there now? What happened to Mike?

PS You probably murdered him in some hideous way to take the TL position. There's a reason people study ancient literature.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 14 December 2010, 20:20.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Resident top dogs usually have friends in management.
    Resident top dogs don't take kindly to been shown up.
    Resident top dogs may have an influence on renewals.
    yeah I suppose it's worth considering when trying to guarantee a renewal

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I'm sure you meant well, but this doesn't 'arf sound patronising
    Good advice is patronising?

That said reading the remainder of the thread I think the others have a strong point. Trying to revolutionise a project that is that fooked will only end in one outcome.

I cannot account for a single project that was in the tulipe that I tried to recover that ever ended well, apart from the current gig. The project was in the mire and they were perfectly happy to let me dig it out. I did, and the project is now doing great.

Totally agree with Prawn, always know your audience, and play to them.

All the best matey, hope it works out for you.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
    why not be better than the top dog?

I'd suggest you continue to bill whilst learning a new skill, set yourself a target to learn something by a certain time frame and you should find yourself busy and stimulated
    Resident top dogs usually have friends in management.
    Resident top dogs don't take kindly to been shown up.
    Resident top dogs may have an influence on renewals.

Writing code/tests/specs never stimulates me anyway and definitely not in the way the girlie new starter does, being a team lead has it benefits in the instructional sense If I have nothing to do then I do some OU thinking or write some crap on here or plan my next holiday.

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Originally posted by configman View Post
    I think we are working at the same place. I'm listening to my Mandarin course, looking busy, booking my currency, and organising the taxi to the airport - all paid for by current client who hasn't got anything for me to do. It would be immoral to waste the money/time they are giving me.
    Not a certain motoring organization is it?

Leave a comment:

• configman
    replied
    Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    No spec, nobody knows what they want, everyone contradicting each other, no project plan, you're just dumped with a load of code to look at and some very arcane business rules scrawled on the back of a fag packet. Nobody seems to give a toss either - they just don't care

What do you do? Sit around all day every day going round in circles or grab the "project" by the scruff of the neck and kick the useless permies into action?

You get to a point where it all just be ones very frustrating as it impossible to make any progress. Then you just get bored and demotivated. That's when the rot sets in.
    I think we are working at the same place. I'm listening to my Mandarin course, looking busy, booking my currency, and organising the taxi to the airport - all paid for by current client who hasn't got anything for me to do. It would be immoral to waste the money/time they are giving me.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    They often start out like that. After a couple of weeks you're able to read the signs, identify the position of supremacy and take it from there.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    It will be good experience anyways, and good CV fodder.

Spec should contain the functional requirements (be these the new functional requirements) or reverse engineered from the code.

If the project is already part written (without these requirements in place) then you will need to do a gap analysis of what is there versus the requirements. Then this gap analysis will become an impact analysis, which gives rise to estimates.

These estimates go into the project plan.

You need to be careful that you don't become everything to all men, you need to divide your time between the various activities. If you are doing 25% business analysis, 25% project management then you are only available 50% of the time to do coding. Then again, I would never 100% allocate someone in a plan.

Don't forget to allow a 30% Contingency for unit testing, system integration testing.

Also you need a commitment from the business to do UAT. Agree the terms of reference with the business and this includes their commitment, amount of man hours, responsibilites. Get this signed off as well.
    I'm sure you meant well, but this doesn't 'arf sound patronising

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Bronze rule : A good subby adapts to the client culture whatever that may be. Aim to be a bit better than the average permie so they can see your worth but not better than the resident top dog no matter how low his standards.
    why not be better than the top dog?

I'd suggest you continue to bill whilst learning a new skill, set yourself a target to learn something by a certain time frame and you should find yourself busy and stimulated

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    As I said, the lack of anything concrete to do has led to intense boredom setting in.

Before I started this one I was on a contract for a much lower rate but worked my ass off to hit the tight deadlines - all night sessions, the works.

This one is just torture.
    Work on Plan b, get another contract, learn a new skill. The choice is yours.

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    As I said, the lack of anything concrete to do has led to intense boredom setting in.

Before I started this one I was on a contract for a much lower rate but worked my ass off to hit the tight deadlines - all night sessions, the works.

This one is just torture.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Sounds fantastic. Just code lots of stuff up at random and get paid for it. Write your own test schedules to show it works, whatever it actually does.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Do that on a public sector project and you'll be out the door in no time!

Seriously, I made the mistake of trying to get a project moving that had everyone sitting around for 18 months and was quietly asked to leave.
    Good point. I got the boot from the BBC after a week for the same!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Yep.

Golden rule : Invoice
    Silver rule : Invoice
    Bronze rule : A good subby adapts to the client culture whatever that may be. Aim to be a bit better than the average permie so they can see your worth but not better than the resident top dog no matter how low his standards.

Adherence to these results in long contracts, lots of holidays and early retirement with a stash.

If you want to change the world etc and show how clever you are then IT/software won't do that as it's so damn easy that even I can do it.
    He speaketh the truth. Have some +ve reputation.

The aim of the game is to make good money easily and for the longest possible period.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X