• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Asian body urges Fifa to reschedule 2022 World Cup"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    And how would people standing outside of stadiums do?

I guess they'd be all right so long as they don't drink booze, kiss, etc

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    It really is going to be ridiculously hot.

I think I read in one article, the bid proposal mentioned that the stadiums would be artificially cooled.

Also, the stadiums are being built as temporary structures so that once the World Cup is over, they will be donated to third world countries to spread the joy of football, no doubt.

Edit: OK, more detail than than news article I read when they won the bid:

All of the stadiums will harness the power of the suns rays to provide a cool environment for players and fans by converting solar energy into electricity that will then be used to cool both fans and players.

The upper tier of 9 of the stadiums will be removed after the tournament. When the tournament ends, the lower tiers of the stadiums will remain in Qatar. The upper tiers will be sent to developing nations, which often lack sufficient football infrastructure. Doha Port Stadium, will be completely modular, and will be deconstructed following the FIFA World Cup™.

We see sending the stadiums to developing nations as an integral part of our bid, as doing so will allow for the further development of football on the global stage. Along with the stadiums, we plan to make the cooling technologies we have developed available to other countries in hot climates, so that they too can host major sporting events.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Platini and Beckenbauer see no problem with buggering up every league in Europe to accommodate FIFA's stupid decision.

BBC Sport - Football - Michel Platini open to World Cup 2022 timing change

Qatar Too Hot? Play World Cup in January, Beckenbauer Says - NYTimes.com

Just as well homosexuals prefer Eurovison then.

Blatter Tells Gays: 'No Sex In Qatar 2022' - Yahoo! News UK

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by BobTheCrate View Post
    What a remarkably perceptive fellow you are ginger ! Easily the most astute observation and would-be winning argument against Qatar 2022 I've heard.

Why on earth didn't the other bidders raise this ? ... so to speak. You should have been in the England bid team. They should have had Randy Andy in there instead of Prince William.
    I've already given the footballing reasons in previous posts, just wanted to make sure i'd covered birds and beer.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    It's a fair point, mid summer in that region is desperately hot, it would be horrible for players and fans. Short of them building enclosed air conditioned stadiums I'm not sure how it would be possible to avoid large numbers of heatstroke cases with some deaths.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    I wonder what "slide" on the wonderfully innovative Qatari Presentation
    That was in small print on the back of big brown envelope.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    The Asian Football Confederation has urged Fifa to move the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to January or February to avoid the desert state's summer heat.

AFC General Secretary Peter Velappan said potential temperatures of 40C in the country pose a danger to players.

Velappan added that plans to cool stadiums and training grounds with air conditioners were "not a solution".

He also warned that some European countries may boycott the tournament due to concerns over the heat.

"Qatar is a nice country but there is no way football can be played in June and July there. No player will ever want to play in these conditions," said Velappan.

More source: BBC Sport - Football - Asian body urges Fifa to reschedule 2022 World Cup

I wonder what "slide" on the wonderfully innovative Qatari Presentation that so won the admiration of the FIFA Committee, covered the fact that the place is like a fan-assisted oven in the summer?
    Or were the FIFA delegates all too busy snuffling through their huge brown envelopes at that point for that fact to register?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    No scantily clad Brazil babes and zero alcohol too
    Best argument I've seen against them getting it yet.

Leave a comment:

• BobTheCrate
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    No scantily clad Brazil babes and zero alcohol too, sounds like a right larf.
    What a remarkably perceptive fellow you are ginger ! Easily the most astute observation and would-be winning argument against Qatar 2022 I've heard.

Why on earth didn't the other bidders raise this ? ... so to speak. You should have been in the England bid team. They should have had Randy Andy in there instead of Prince William.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I hope the megalomaniac that stole football lives long enough to see this farce.

No scantily clad Brazil babes and zero alcohol too, sounds like a right larf.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Because England didn't get the 2018 world cup I think they should make a protest my playing really badly and producing lacklustre performances thus ensuring that they leave the competition early.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    started a topic Asian body urges Fifa to reschedule 2022 World Cup

Asian body urges Fifa to reschedule 2022 World Cup

The Asian Football Confederation has urged Fifa to move the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to January or February to avoid the desert state's summer heat.

AFC General Secretary Peter Velappan said potential temperatures of 40C in the country pose a danger to players.

Velappan added that plans to cool stadiums and training grounds with air conditioners were "not a solution".

He also warned that some European countries may boycott the tournament due to concerns over the heat.

"Qatar is a nice country but there is no way football can be played in June and July there. No player will ever want to play in these conditions," said Velappan.

More source: BBC Sport - Football - Asian body urges Fifa to reschedule 2022 World Cup

Working...
X