• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Video Camera - advice needed"

Collapse

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Monster movie out this week was shot on a 5D. Haven't seen it yet but supposed to be good.

Personally, being a contractor, I'd just go out and buy a Red.
    This looks good mind...

Panasonic announces AF105 Micro Four Thirds camcorder, interchangeable lenses not included -- Engadget

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by freelancer75 View Post
    The quality is as good as any camera out there.
    I laughed so hard you owe me a new pair of pants.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Monster movie out this week was shot on a 5D. Haven't seen it yet but supposed to be good.

Personally, being a contractor, I'd just go out and buy a Red.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Need to do the voiceover while I'm on the job so I'll check out your microphone suggestion.
    Amateur!

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Sorry, it can't. Digital SLRs can do some sort of HD but the lens on an SLR is totally different to the lens on video (by a long way)
    Seems that a DSLRs (and DSLR lenses) are good enough for mainstream broadcast TV:

House Season Finale Filmed Entirely with Canon 5D Mark II

Don't understand your point about image stabilisation either. Most HD video-capable DLRS now have IS either in the body or in the lenses.

Suggest OP has a look at www.dpreview.com and checks out the video capabilities of various cameras.
    Last edited by bogeyman; 9 December 2010, 20:19.

Leave a comment:

• freelancer75
    replied
    Most newish smart-phones these days have 720p video cameras built in, Apple's iPhone and HTC's Desire are two examples, using one of these will save you carrying around a separate camera. The quality is as good as any camera out there.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    As per Clip's post - Panny SD60. Just got it, best price was at Amazon for £272. You have to buy a SDHC card (16Gb cost me £17) and that's it. HD quality is amazing for the price, and it's simple to use.

Nice one - I'll look into it. Be interested to know what the sound quality is like too. Just looked at a review & they say you can't plug in an external mic. Might be an issue if the built in one isn't up to scratch.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    As per Clip's post - Panny SD60. Just got it, best price was at Amazon for £272. You have to buy a SDHC card (16Gb cost me £17) and that's it. HD quality is amazing for the price, and it's simple to use.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Image stabilization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In Nikon and Canon's implementation, it works by using a floating lens element that is moved orthogonally to the optical axis of the lens using electromagnets.[3] Vibration is detected using two piezoelectric angular velocity sensors (often called gyroscopic sensors), one to detect horizontal "

Panasonic MegaOIS Explained

Learn about Panasonic's AG-HMC150
    Sorry I must be missing something, are you saying that Panasonic's optical IS (illustrated with details from a still camera) that was "developed for use in video cameras" and uses a gyroscope & moving optical elements is fundamentally different to Canon & Nikon systems that use a gyroscope & moving optical elements or from my Sony video camera or the Panasonic you linked to that uses a gyroscope & moving optical elements?

I think you'll find the canon video IS systems work in fundamentally the same way as well.

Canon BCTV Lenses: What is Optical Image Stabilizer?

There are differences, some systems use prisms rather than lenses, and some don't use moving optical elements at all, but none of them rule out their use for video, especially when you put the camera on a tripod and (ideally) switch the stabilizer off anyway (most do this automagically).

Edit: In fact some of the latest Panasonic video cameras use exactly the same lenses as their DSLRs.

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...sonic_ag-af101

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Really? How so? Other than details like the mount, back focal distance and other things that vary from camera to camera anyway, and the need for an SLR lens to have higher resolution (which does of course allow video lenses to get away with higher zoom ratios)?

The main problem with DSLRs from what I have seen is the "rolling shutter" phenomenon.
    Image stabilization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In Nikon and Canon's implementation, it works by using a floating lens element that is moved orthogonally to the optical axis of the lens using electromagnets.[3] Vibration is detected using two piezoelectric angular velocity sensors (often called gyroscopic sensors), one to detect horizontal "

Panasonic MegaOIS Explained

Learn about Panasonic's AG-HMC150

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Sorry, it can't. Digital SLRs can do some sort of HD but the lens on an SLR is totally different to the lens on video (by a long way)
    Really? How so? Other than details like the mount, back focal distance and other things that vary from camera to camera anyway, and the need for an SLR lens to have higher resolution (which does of course allow video lenses to get away with higher zoom ratios)?

The main problem with DSLRs from what I have seen is the "rolling shutter" phenomenon.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    The Gadget Show has reviewed these in the past. They made a short film using one the other week, episode 17, using a digital SLR filming in HD, and compared the results favourably with professional kit. Although I don't fully trust their product recommendations.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I'm thinking of making some videos as part of a plan B. They'll be embedded in a webpage & will be available for download. They'll be of me in action in the kitchen and out & about in the countryside. I want a decent picture and sound quality is also important as I will be doing a voiceover.

I know very little about video cameras & I'm wondering if I need to invest in getting a camcorder or whether a compact digital camera would do. Perhaps there's a decent compact out there that has decent video functionality? Any recomendations would be most appreciated.
    Many people these days make the mistake of thinking that all they need to do is to by a video camera, point and shoot, job done. It is not the case. You do need a good camera, a tripod and a stedicam. It then takes a lot a practice and good editing kit (software). I strong suggest that if you a video; get in a professional.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Don't want to spend a huge amount. Less than a grand. Just want to get something that will produce a result that doesn't look sh!t.

Need to do the voiceover while I'm on the job so I'll check out your microphone suggestion.
    I was thinking of buying a Sony HDR-XR-155E

If any experts have an opinion I'd be very interested.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Is there an electron microscope app on the iphone these days?
    Cheeky.

It would have your eye out... If you were close enough.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X