• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is there anything more weak-minded and meaningless than having "faith"?"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I could take part of MF's brain, but then there would be a rattling sound everytime I shook my head.
    You'd grow to like it. Would make a change from the eerie whistling noise that you currently get as the air rushes through the vacuum.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I could take part of MF's brain, but then there would be a rattling sound everytime I shook my head.
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Even louder than the one we all hear now?

It's not that I've got a small brain. It's just you've got a big head. A very big head.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Even louder than the one we all hear now?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    CUK be simpler if anyone having one set of views on issue A was legally obliged to hold certain views on issue B. I always agree with sas on religion and disagree on politics and then it's the other way round with MF. Can you two please undergo some brain part swap? It would be so much easier. Ta.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    CUK be simpler if anyone having one set of views on issue A was legally obliged to hold certain views on issue B. I always agree with sas on religion and disagree on politics and then it's the other way round with MF. Can you two please undergo some brain part swap? It would be so much easier. Ta.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Will you return to us as contractor69?

Not with the Chritian munter he's probably been forced to marry.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Is The Book of Dave any better than that other Will Self thing where a bloke woke up to find he was a monkey? Crap.
    You mean Great Apes? Fantastic book

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Where in the bible is the bit that specifically forbids group sex?
    Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    see if you had gone to school assembly instead of reading the Beano you wouldn't ask questions as stupid as that
    Well, I've read quite a bit of the bible too, and I don't remember anything that would prohibit group sex, although I can understand that wife swapping might be a no go.
    Are we to conclude from your silence that you have decided I'm correct and wandered off to get some action before god changes his mind? Will you return to us as contractor69?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Is The Book of Dave any better than that other Will Self thing where a bloke woke up to find he was a monkey? Crap.
    Slightly. But I doubt you will enjoy it if you are not a fan of his. I do prefer his short stories.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    what a load of nonsense
    You ARE Chico. He simply refuted without a shred of argument either. I suggest you look at how stories from more recent history evolve, the Arthur Legend perhaps. Take a fair smattering of fact and the subsequent tellers embellish such that over time it is hard to distinguish which is fact and which is fiction.

Writers have always tended to support fiction with invented and apparently credible histories or else embroidered in real facts in order to give the tale more credibility and depth. What would the film "The Mummy" be if the mummy simply popped up in the desert with no explanation of who he had been, how he came to be an evil creature etc?

Involve religion and you then get vested interest in showing the story to be true and reality is used selectively to "prove" it. How often is some other reference cited to show the truth of the Bible? It may well demonstrate the truth of that part of the Bible, it is very probable that much of the bible is based on real events, but nothing else proves any supernatural aspect of it. The cuckolded Pharaoh in "The Mummy" was a real character but does that make the rest of it true?
    Last edited by xoggoth; 8 December 2010, 14:48.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    In my opinion, if there IS a God, he would NOT want us blindly following self-appointed religious teachers.

Isn't it a sin to suppose the mind of God?
    So you question the existance of god but then tell the board what God should do.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Have you read The Book of Dave?
    Yes.... not a bad book, although it takes a couple of chapters to get used to the language

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    And why would he give us the capacity to think for oursleves and then expect us to blindly follow what religious teachers tell us?
    In my opinion, if there IS a God, he would NOT want us blindly following self-appointed religious teachers.

Isn't it a sin to suppose the mind of God?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    "Is there anything more weak-minded and meaningless than having "faith"?."

I just hope Ponting can start playing cricket.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X