• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Post viral fatigue

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Post viral fatigue"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Sorry to hear it SY. Rarely get anything myself but did feel a bit crappy for a few months last year. Did a correlation and my diagnosis was RELATIVES. Steer clear of the buggers if you want to stay healthy.

As for those online self diagnosis sites, prob. best avoided. Have a bit of pain in lower back and hips which is probably due to too much exercise, which has got to be a bit of an obsession recently. Then I read a charity leaflet and, damn it!, now I am convinced I must have prostate cancer!

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Anyone had it? How did you get it diagnosed? I have been ill for 13 weeks and steadily sinking lower. I had a week off a couple of weeks ago to try and get back on top, but it wasn't really a week off as I was chasing round after social workers, doctors and nurses while visiting my Grandfather in hospital.

I saw the doc a couple of weeks ago and he hinted at post viral fatigue as I have not really ever recovered from a bout of flu about 13 weeks ago. He has arranged blood tests, but the first time round they cocked the dates up and I have my second appointment this Wednesday.

It sometimes really irks me when people just give you a tap on the back and say, you'll be alright old chap, and all the time you just feel yourself sinking lower and lower. And the doctors just don't appear to listen and just put you on waiting lists for tests.

Can't I just keep ODing on vitamin C until it fecks off?
    Any chance of getting private health insurance? I get to see a private GP with ease and usually more than happy to put me through any tests they can think of.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I prescribe a dose of MAN THE **** UP!

Excellent. I'll be sure to give that a whirl.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    History basically repeats itself. I was told by my doctor that once you've had PVF you are prone to it.

I caught a flu like illness back shortly after Christmas. I tried my hardest to just pull through. Get some exercise. Man up. Etc etc. here I am nearly 4 years on suffering the same symptoms.

I think if you are prone, you are prone. I know it gets better, and I'm glad I found this thread as it reminds me of when it happened last, and that it eventually got better.
    I prescribe a dose of MAN THE **** UP!

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by ar53 View Post
    Curious to learn what happened in this case, did you recover - if so, how long did it take you and how did you get there?
    History basically repeats itself. I was told by my doctor that once you've had PVF you are prone to it.

I caught a flu like illness back shortly after Christmas. I tried my hardest to just pull through. Get some exercise. Man up. Etc etc. here I am nearly 4 years on suffering the same symptoms.

I think if you are prone, you are prone. I know it gets better, and I'm glad I found this thread as it reminds me of when it happened last, and that it eventually got better.

Leave a comment:

• ar53
    replied
    So what happened?

Curious to learn what happened in this case, did you recover - if so, how long did it take you and how did you get there?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I take a complex vitamin B, which is the only thing I've ever taken that I notice makes a difference. Helps heart, brain and nervous system.

Was it you who'd suffered from this before?
    Yip, just over a year ago. The only significant similarity between the two outbreaks is that I had significant periods of ball breaking stress as a precursor.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    [1] No.
    [2] No.

It's odd as I have been craving marmite recently. Had lashings of it on toast this evening and do feel a little brighter - although still very weak.

Apparently stress can deplete the body of vitamin B, and vit B deficiency symptoms are a lot like PVF.
    I take a complex vitamin B, which is the only thing I've ever taken that I notice makes a difference. Helps heart, brain and nervous system.

Was it you who'd suffered from this before?

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    It's odd as I have been craving marmite recently. Had lashings of it on toast this evening and do feel a little brighter - although still very weak.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I do think I read somewhere that liking marmite means you have a brain tumour.

I am almost 100% sure that asking for a diagnosis online means you have a personality disorder.

I'm also 100% sure that I should have bothered typing all this.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post

Best to make sure you're eating well, taking supplements, not drinking too much booze and getting a decent nights sleep.
    WSS, but I wouldn't take any iron supplements until you get the result of that haemochromatosis DNA test I mentioned. Seriously.

edit: BTW, have you been tested for Addison's Disease

The symptoms of Addison's disease develop insidiously, and it may take some time to be recognized. The most common symptoms are fatigue, lightheadedness upon standing or while upright, muscle weakness, fever, weight loss, difficulty in standing up, anxiety, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, sweating, changes in mood and personality, joint and muscle pains. Some have marked cravings for salt or salty foods due to the urinary losses of sodium.[2] Affected individuals may note increased tanning
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 6 December 2010, 23:16.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Is your doc any good?

Do you take any vitamin B supplements?

Also, am not actually being sarky here, but did you suffer from post viral something a while back? Might not have been you, but am sure I've read something similar on here a while back. If it was you, and you do find it hard to recover from illness, it is probably good news you're having blood tests etc. Like Zip says, it may well all be stress related.
    [1] No.
    [2] No.

Apparently stress can deplete the body of vitamin B, and vit B deficiency symptoms are a lot like PVF.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Anyone had it? How did you get it diagnosed? I have been ill for 13 weeks and steadily sinking lower. I had a week off a couple of weeks ago to try and get back on top, but it wasn't really a week off as I was chasing round after social workers, doctors and nurses while visiting my Grandfather in hospital.

I saw the doc a couple of weeks ago and he hinted at post viral fatigue as I have not really ever recovered from a bout of flu about 13 weeks ago. He has arranged blood tests, but the first time round they cocked the dates up and I have my second appointment this Wednesday.

It sometimes really irks me when people just give you a tap on the back and say, you'll be alright old chap, and all the time you just feel yourself sinking lower and lower. And the doctors just don't appear to listen and just put you on waiting lists for tests.

Can't I just keep ODing on vitamin C until it fecks off?
    Is your doc any good?

Do you take any vitamin B supplements?

Also, am not actually being sarky here, but did you suffer from post viral something a while back? Might not have been you, but am sure I've read something similar on here a while back. If it was you, and you do find it hard to recover from illness, it is probably good news you're having blood tests etc. Like Zip says, it may well all be stress related.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Do you hear me whining on?
    <cough> yes

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Sounds lie you're stressed and getting ill because of it, but hey none of us are doctors so go and speak to the local quack, who will probably be no help whatsoever.

Best to make sure you're eating well, taking supplements, not drinking too much booze and getting a decent nights sleep.

Stress does catch up with you and before you know it, you're ill all the time.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Yep - in the majority of cases of fatigue, no underlying medical reason is found

But still worth yourself checked out!

As others have said, stress can be quite debilitating. If you're feeling low that can also cause fatigue, but I always think its kinda catch 22 - you're hardly likely to be life and soul of the party if you're knackered.

Anaemia and thyroid problems are common causes in women, but both can affect men too.

What you eat can also affect you - I find cutting out wheat for a couple of weeks perks me up.

Regular sleep patterns, less alcohol, more exercise - we all know the drill...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X