• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why is comms so f***ing hard?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    There you go EO, SB, DP and BB.
    A ready made Plan B for you.

I like people who think that making something easy to use is "pandering". It makes me look so much better in comparison.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Even Eric Raymond can't do it, so what hope do we lesser mortals have?

(See also John Gruber's response, Ronco Spray-On Usability)
    Chuckle. Both from early 2004, and now in late 2010, I just saw similar dialogues with:
    • Fedora 14
    • Ubuntu Workstation 10.10
    • Linux Mint 9

this using instances of the above under VirtualBox. It could be that the Windows host firewall is getting in the way. I did get printing to a Windows shared printer working when I had a couple of those as dual boot systems, but the problem of dual booting Winders and Linux is a whole 'nother issue...

Right on cue for this thread - Plan B anyone?
    Last edited by Sysman; 6 December 2010, 18:34.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    What it actually needs is a thick developer, with a poor short-term memory, to design a graphical interface - Nobody with an IQ over 100, or who can remember more than three or four digits at a time, should be allowed near it!
    There you go EO, SB, DP and BB.
    A ready made Plan B for you.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I've never had a printer work in Ubuntu. My current printer is supposedly Linux compatible, but all I get is pages of blank paper when I print, which is an improvement over my last printer I suppose, which did nothing. Manufacturers also seem to put little effort into providing drivers and might even point you to a third party website which turns out to be carp. I've pretty much given up on Ubuntu for when needing to use any hardware devices, e.g. sound, printer and DVD.
    Surely life is too short for all that f***ing about?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Having got to Alternative Solution Number 84, I tripped up there. Connecting an HP LaserJet 1020 directly to the Linux desktop which fails with a USB error while Linux is loading. Much searching online just returns owners of specific bits of hardware reporting the same problem and the Linux people saying it is a cable fault. Yet the same device works on the same PC when running Windows, which is apparently, a fault with Windows. And these threads began about 18 months ago and are still ongoing.

So even connecting a printer direct to a Linux box can be a right royal pain in the arse.
    I've never had a printer work in Ubuntu. My current printer is supposedly Linux compatible, but all I get is pages of blank paper when I print, which is an improvement over my last printer I suppose, which did nothing. Manufacturers also seem to put little effort into providing drivers and might even point you to a third party website which turns out to be carp. I've pretty much given up on Ubuntu for when needing to use any hardware devices, e.g. sound, printer and DVD.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    This reminded me that I hadn't installed my new printer on my main (Ubuntu) desktop. Just sorted that problem - it was remarkably easy. And I've never installed a printer on Ubuntu before.
    Having got to Alternative Solution Number 84, I tripped up there. Connecting an HP LaserJet 1020 directly to the Linux desktop which fails with a USB error while Linux is loading. Much searching online just returns owners of specific bits of hardware reporting the same problem and the Linux people saying it is a cable fault. Yet the same device works on the same PC when running Windows, which is apparently, a fault with Windows. And these threads began about 18 months ago and are still ongoing.

So even connecting a printer direct to a Linux box can be a right royal pain in the arse.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Ditch Ubuntu and use Linux Mint, make sure you understand how Samba works (there are plenty of tools out there to help config).
    Well, that was amusing. Downloaded he ISO, cut the CD, played with it ... the only difference in the print setup is that Mint does not even have an option for connecting to a Windows printer via Samba.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by kandr View Post
    I think that was when everyone realised what I am really like, which I regretted, especially after the continual verbal slaps. I've been bending over ever since.
    More like it.

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    I think that was more, I asked a question then got abuse off a few, who regretted it after I dished out some kandrslaps.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    My Vista laptop took a hissy fit with my XP desktop becuse the workgroup was called 'the flat' and not 'THE FLAT'

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Can't be bothered to read the thread.

You are all tulip. Any half decent contractor will get any computer to talk to any other computer in a matter of minutes. That is (one of the reasons) why we are paid what we are paid.
    I'm paid to write software, not muck about with cables or do system administration.

I really can't understand anyone using WindowsME though... if you want something old use 98SE which was viewed as quite decent.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by kandr View Post
    More displays of your amazing wit and intellect, calling someone a sockie, which is the default insult of the slow of thinking. This can be quickly checked by asking admin. Next some insults generated from some insult generator web page, again not relevant to the discussion, and again displaying your overall lack of originality and debating skills.

Next time don't post a thread asking for peoples opinions, the hurl abuse when you don't like the answers.

Good luck with your plight with computer comms, and using windows me.
    Pot. Kettle.

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied

I love the way you can switch between pretending to be a naïve newbie and an experienced CUK sockpuppet.

But you did it once too often for me with your reference to "growing some stones" or some such in an aggressive post a day or two ago. And then you forgot you are not supposed to have a 100% grasp of spelling and grammar, for example your post above.

Your posts have been 90%+ offensive to other posters and of no positive value to CUK at all. You have contributed nothing other than jibes and snipes.

F**k off and die, you vacuous tissue of an entity. Seriously.

If I'm not allowed to use sockpuppets any more - which I am not - then I fail to see why you should continue to exist.
    More displays of your amazing wit and intellect, calling someone a sockie, which is the default insult of the slow of thinking. This can be quickly checked by asking admin. Next some insults generated from some insult generator web page, again not relevant to the discussion, and again displaying your overall lack of originality and debating skills.

Next time don't post a thread asking for peoples opinions, the hurl abuse when you don't like the answers.

Good luck with your plight with computer comms, and using windows me.
    Last edited by kandr; 5 December 2010, 09:12.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Another example of why I hate comms. All the assumptions are wrong. Link1, the cable. Link2, the how-to.

I can get way beyond that and have the Linux box verify the printer connection is available, then get a CIFS or CUPS error when I try to print. I can get a share working one way, yet the other way the box is invisible.

Fairy nuffski.
    Hardly just a cable linking two PCs (it has a contoller), but thanks for the info.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    When will semi-autistic Unix geeks learn that normal people don't have photographic memories to remember hordes of fussy command line options and config file names?! !
    They won't, any more than pilots will learn that "normal people" can't fly jumbo jets.
    Last edited by doodab; 5 December 2010, 01:08.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X