• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "300mph Chinese train breaks record"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by configman View Post
    That's a big unqualified statement. It is only if you incite other people to believe what you do and try and cause an uprising would you get put in prison, you can say what you like otherwise. Going by your figures of a person a day being executed what percentage is 365 of 1.3 billion. It has to be extremely serious for execution such as repeat offending. I live part-time in China, fulltime from next year and in all seriousness I experience more freedom in China than I do the UK. With all UK's political correctness etc do you really have free speech?, a Human Rights Act that releases criminals to commit crime again do you really feel safe?
    Now that's how people can be happy when a chinese komrad with a gun is behind them when they are speaking "on tape"

Leave a comment:

• configman
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    It is astounding that they shoot a person a day for speaking out against their government, it is astounding that you have taken what I said and assume that only the shot speak out against the government.

Communism is a disease.

If I had said that in China I would be placed in prison.
    That's a big unqualified statement. It is only if you incite other people to believe what you do and try and cause an uprising would you get put in prison, you can say what you like otherwise. Going by your figures of a person a day being executed what percentage is 365 of 1.3 billion. It has to be extremely serious for execution such as repeat offending. I live part-time in China, fulltime from next year and in all seriousness I experience more freedom in China than I do the UK. With all UK's political correctness etc do you really have free speech?, a Human Rights Act that releases criminals to commit crime again do you really feel safe?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    We're going to have Crossrail soon. Since only London matters that's all we need ?
    We already have this on South West Trains. In fact very cross rail.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    It's not a question of fairness, it's a question of efficient resource allocation. Whether it's old school communist regimes or modern capitalist Britain, people aren't very good at running their own societies because the whomever you put in charge and however you put them there they cannot be trusted, or aren't capable, of doing what is best for everyone. People are corrupt and fallible, even the best of them.

Of course in a proper communist society we would all be on "welfare" and there would be no "jobs" but everyone would have everything they needed. More of a utopia really.

It'll probably start with a botnet that redistributes the money in all of the worlds bank accounts as it sees fit.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Oh Karl the world isn't fair
    It isn't and never will be
    They tried out your plan
    It brought misery instead
    If you'd seen how they worked it you'd be glad you were dead
    just like I'm glad I'm living in the land of the free
    where the rich just get richer
    and the poor you don't ever have to see
    It would depress us, Karl
    Because we care
    that the world still isn't fair

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Once we have benign artificial intelligences to make the decisions for us, it'll make a comeback.
    WMSS

You will hear it on here first...

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Communism is quite a nice idea, in theory. It's letting people run it that makes it go wrong. Once we have benign artificial intelligences to make the decisions for us, it'll make a comeback.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It's astounding that only 1 person out of over 1 bln speaks out against communist Govt, still that's like more than in Russia...
    It is astounding that they shoot a person a day for speaking out against their government, it is astounding that you have taken what I said and assume that only the shot speak out against the government.

Communism is a disease.

If I had said that in China I would be placed in prison.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Understandably he's not that keen that people are able to get from London to Birmingham quicker.
    Well tulip happens - he should get reasonable compensation and have his house knocked down without delay - it's not like it is a fancy to make the route go through his house, it just has to be pretty straight for high speed rail to work at max speed.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    and 120 mile track between London/Birmingham is still under discussion, ffs scheduled to go live in 2015, assuming some tory ******** who object to the line as it goes through their territory, ffs - in Spain when high speed rail was build MPs were lobbying hard to have a local station!!!
    The proposed route is quite close to here, and I know someone who is at potential risk of having his house knocked down. Understandably he's not that keen that people are able to get from London to Birmingham quicker.

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    No 'Anglo-Saxon' based economy has high speed rail: primacy of property in law.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Isn't it nice having a train thread that isn't just threaded being a prat with his ladygricerboy sockpuppet

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    isn't suited for a country like ours which is 35X smaller and 2X as densely populated as China.
    Yes, high density of population (like Japan) is really bad for public transport links especially high speed rail (like in Japan).

Woot a "stupid" Chinese civilisation - they've only been around for a few thousand of years (that's like way more than England), and those "idiots" just insist on putting their hard earned money into high speed railway.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    We're going to have Crossrail soon. Since only London matters that's all we need ?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I worked for Railtrack 10 years ago and while doing some stuff for their civil engineering department who were working on the East Coast and High Speed Tunnel links their assertion was that they could put in high speed links for a sensible amount of money.

The stone in their shoe was public enquiries every few miles, every tunnel and bridge upgrade and massive amounts of NIMBYism. They reckoned that it increased cost and time by a factor of at least 10.
    You keep believing that Dr Snore.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X