• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Student Demo - Really don't care about your poxy Geography degree"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Clegg isn't in power. LibDems have to give in on many areas to get want they want in a few places, which is more than they'd get if they weren't involved in the coalition.
    Wise words. Now who are you, and what have you done with d000hg??

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by kandr View Post
    I think a lot of the anger it at the liberal democrats, they promised not to raise fees and won seats on the basis of that promise. As soon as Clegg got a sniff of power the promises he made were ditched. I think they have the right to demonstrate.
    Clegg isn't in power. LibDems have to give in on many areas to get want they want in a few places, which is more than they'd get if they weren't involved in the coalition.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Both methods have their downsides...

what we really need is a scrapping of council tax and the introduction of a local income tax, deducted at source and in proportion to income.
    Or, better still, a Land Value Tax.

Income taxes tax those who produce something, wealth taxes tax those who hoard it.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I have a poxy geography degree and it got me a job doing interesting and important geographical stuff of great importance for the public good (modelling future water requirements according to spatial demographic changes). The pay was tulipe so I went into IT and now make money out of stuff that doesn't work and doesn't do anything of any consequence even if it does work. Pays well though.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    It's one o'clock and time for lunch ......
    I recall getting through 4 slices of the mothers pride plus an banana most lunch times, without my body would collapse into a useless lump of jelly.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    so the best way the supposed intellectual cream of our society knows to oppose a view point is to deface a statue of a great military leader...

something about this makes me think we should most definetly not be paying for the education as they are quite obviously to stupid to be in a seat of higher learning.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    They need a decent chant.

Along the lines of "Hey hey LBJ, how many kids did you kill today"
    Hey, hey, Dave & Nick
    Why should I pay for an education when I'll still be thick?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    so the best way the supposed intellectual cream of our society knows to oppose a view point is to deface a statue of a great military leader...

something about this makes me think we should most definetly not be paying for the education as they are quite obviously to stupid to be in a seat of higher learning.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Yes it's strange that the Thatcherite policy of suggesting that everyone that utilises certain services should pay a proportionate amount towards the running of those services. I can see how that might upset the "hands-out" sections of society.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Yes it's strange that the Thatcherite policy to shift the burden of taxation from the richer elements of society to the poorer elements of society proved so unpopular.

There's some dumb Tory 'bendovers' on this forum.
    Both methods have their downsides...

what we really need is a scrapping of council tax and the introduction of a local income tax, deducted at source and in proportion to income.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Still the police stand outside the libdems headquarters here in Edinburgh, not one protestor. MMMMmmmmuuuuha ha ha

Whatever you do don't tell them about the how income tax in Scotland maybe reduced, wonder who will cough up the difference?
    Don't worry - the English will get the last laugh, by giving you lot independence

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    It will be the usual rent-a-mob, without the burden of work, who travel from one demo to the next for 'sport' causing the majority of the damage.
    Yes, in theory the right to protest should be cherished as an indicator of basic 'freedom' but that right is often abused at the expense of the rest of us.
    Oh and the fantasy of freedom is just that for the vast majority of wage slaves on the treadmill for years to pay loans and mortgages for things we think we need.

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I remember working in the City 8/9 years back when a G8 demo kicked off. I was working for one of the Bank Treasuries.

Brokers(male and female) photocopying £50 notes and chucking them at the demonstrators. All of a sudden a group of demonstrators broke past security on the ground floor and legged it up the stairs. They got one floor before a group of Stock Brokers went down and gave them a right good kicking.

Welcome to the English Defense league in all it's banking glory.
    I remember that day. They were chucking them from upstairs weren't they. I remember seeing a riot van smashed up down London Wall. I was in casual clothes on that day and actually walked amongst the protestors for a bit to get a sense of the aggro. It was basically one big p1ss up. They were drinking strong cans of lager from early in the morning, wandering round the city winding themselves up.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Very little in principle. It was just that the great unwashed did not feel they had any obligation to cough up for those services when historically that particular Bill had always been footed by others.

Yes it's strange that the Thatcherite policy to shift the burden of taxation from the richer elements of society to the poorer elements of society proved so unpopular.

There's some dumb Tory 'bendovers' on this forum.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    The Welsh are to pay less in tuition fees too. So that just leaves the English.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X