• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Student pleads guilty to throwing fire extinguisher"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Surely he should be vandalising the Labour party headquarters, seeing as they´re the people who made these cuts necessary?
    Maybe Nu Liebor HQ is so skint that they can't even afford a fire extinguisher?

Sentence seems appropriate - pity he pleaded guilty and such plea was accepted, ffs - such pleas should only count if it is hard to prove case for prosecution which should always approve such pleas - if they got enough evidence to convict for the full term without them then tough tulip.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    First of his family to go to higher education.
    ... but he won't be finishing it, though!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    ...More likely he will serve just half his sentence is my take.
    That is the system. You go to prison, you behave yourself, you're paroled at half time - let out on license. For the rest of your sentence, step a foot wrong and you go straight back to prison.

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    It'll be just like when he was at public school.
    First of his family to go to higher education, so unlikely.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Yep, but he didn't.

Do we punish actions or consequences?

If you drink drive for example and crash into a lampost, you're likely to lose your licence and get a heavy fine. If you drink drive and crash into person, you're likely to serve a lengthy jail sentence. Yet the action is the same.

We shouldn't be punishing someone to 'send a message'. 3 months are enough to make him grow up a bit and be more careful in the future, without being integrated into the criminal community - I have no evidence to back it up but I can't help thinking you're far more likely to be a persistent offender after 18 months inside, than 3.
    We punish both in an even handed way and that is what has happened. had he killed someone then the sentence would have been much harsher. had he been let off then the wrong message would have been sent to others like him. Nor is it likely that he will become a serial offender (we could all play that card couldnt we?), but he has learned a very hard lesson and quite rightly so.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    I think they should have sentenced him to ten years and then after about a week or so, open his cell door and tell him they were only joking and he should "f*** off and not do anything so stupid again".

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    What are you now, my pimp?
    I think the word's 'agent' in these circles.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    dwarf tossing, like cow tipping and shoving the frozen pea with your nose whilst wearing a bikini, are those sports that should be in the olympics, but never will be due to blinkered, wishy washy political correctness.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    No; ask MaryPoppins if you need that kind of service.
    What are you now, my pimp?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    have you ever tossed a dwarf ?

I've seen a film similar to that but the young lady wasn't going to be able to throw him off a building not with the grip she had!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I've thrown a balloon filled with water. Is that close?
    Aww bless, you do try so hard to belong, don't you?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

No; ask MaryPoppins if you need that kind of service.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Is that a euphimism ?
    No, a euphimism's like a trumpet but bigger.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Did any other students get done for all the damage caused during the demo?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I prefer to throw people out of buildings if they annoy me.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    When he threw that fire extinguisher, what did he really think the consequences of his actions were going to be?

How many of you lot have thrown a fire extinguisher out of a building?

If you haven't, then why not?

Go on, have a think, see if you share the same mindset as him.
    I prefer to throw people out of buildings if they annoy me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X