• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Antimatter trapped

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Antimatter trapped"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    BBC News - Antimatter caught streaming from thunderstorms on Earth

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    More info here:

Watching Photons Interfere: "Observing the Average Trajectories of Single Photons in a Two-Slit Interferometer" : Uncertain Principles

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Some uncertainty about Heisenberg?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Bottled for a mammoth 15 minutes now, paving the way for experiments relating to such mysteries as to where all the missing antimatter has gone, i.e. half the matter not in the universe.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...=feeds-newsxml

Nice bottle:

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    When I was littler and read sci-fi, I wanted to go to Alpha Centauri on one of the first colony ships.
    FTFM

When I was littler and looked at pictures in comic books, I wanted to fly to Alpha Centauri under my own power - after spending several years basking in the earthlings yellow sun that is.

FTFM (version II)

When I was littler and looked at pictures in my nan's Littlewoods catalogue (pages 1162 - 1178), I wanted to ... unfortunately at this point my mum would always burst into the room and order me to wear my boxing gloves to bed (yet again).

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    They haven't even found di-lithium yet.

It'll take a while to get to anti-uranium. .
    And we'll need to get beyond the Anti-Island of Stability to get to building a matter/anti-matter di-lithium drive.

Arse.

When I was littler and read sci-fi, I wanted to go to Alpha Centauri on one of the first colony ships.

Yet we still don't have flying cars, jaunt belts or food pills.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Colour when talking about individual atoms is a bit misleading though. I presume they are checking the (gaps between) energy levels of positrons around a -ve charge nucleus are equal.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    What colour is anti-matter?
    Does it matter? Or should I say, does it antimatter? Anyway enough of the brilliant jokes:

It's the first thing they are going to look at according to this article. The big surprise will come if it's different to ordinary matter, together with much science being tipped into the bin.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Well, I always though that protons were red, electrons were blue and neutrons were yellow. Or was it grey?
    no, electrons are orange, I'm positive

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What colour is regular matter?
    Well, I always though that protons were red, electrons were blue and neutrons were yellow. Or was it grey?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    What colour is regular matter?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    nobody knows. because

because...er

just because.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

There's a reason Iron is the "magic stopping point" but I forget why. Something to do with energy levels I suppose... you can get to Iron with each 'reaction' generating energy but beyond that you have to put energy in to create heavier nuclei?
    nuclear binding energy

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post

Either way, all the atoms in our body heavier than helium were created in a star exploding. So we are all made of stardust.
    About half of all the lithium around today was created within the first few minutes after the Big Bang (before any stars had formed).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X