• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: RBS

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "RBS"

Collapse

• kandr
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    At that point you should pile in, you'd be getting 10x what you got before... grrrr
    Yeah but I was envisioning them being completely nationalised and me getting a token 2p for my shares.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by kandr View Post
    RBS was my first dabble in buying shares. I saw there price dropping from £5 ro £1 just before the banking crisis really hit. So I bought 1k worth thinking, well it wont go below £1 and Ill triple my money in a few months. A week later Lehman's went under and RBS's shares were at 10p and they looked like they might be nationalised. In the net!
    At that point you should pile in, you'd be getting 10x what you got before... grrrr

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    I find losing real money really forces the lesson home.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by kandr View Post
    RBS was my first dabble in buying shares. I saw there price dropping from £5 ro £1 just before the banking crisis really hit. So I bought 1k worth thinking, well it wont go below £1 and Ill triple my money in a few months. A week later Lehman's went under and RBS's shares were at 10p and they looked like they might be nationalised. In the net!
    It's Just Money: Investor Mistake #9: Trying to "Catch a Falling Knife"

HTH BIDI

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

The Newport Wafer fab that got £150M in grants & never turned a wafer.

One of my ex-bosses had a big hand in that.

Its shadow keeps the EADS/Cassidian building cool across the road

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    We could help them out, send over some well educated Brits to give the country a kick up the arse... or has this already been tried?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    How's the DeLorean factory going?

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Mind you, Ireland did attract a lot of investment with their tax breaks for business. Just about every large clientco I've had a contract with has had a Dublin office. So perhaps the celtic tiger thing wasn't all hot air. The trouble is companies can up sticks and leave as quickly as they arrived.
    That they did, but like all good companies once those tax breaks came to an end, they upped sticks and left a lot of unemployment.

it may have been an initial good idea but no safeguard was put in place for the inevitable.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Mind you, Ireland did attract a lot of investment with their tax breaks for business. Just about every large clientco I've had a contract with has had a Dublin office. So perhaps the celtic tiger thing wasn't all hot air. The trouble is companies can up sticks and leave as quickly as they arrived.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Can't be bothered to check obviously but seem to recall National Savings and Post Office accounts are with the Bank of Ireland.
    Yep!

Whatever fiscal repairs Ireland starts putting in place it will be too little too late.

How the country managed to fool itself that the Economy was strong during those "celtic tiger" years is beyond me, Ireland has been getting handouts from the EU from the get go and that money was used to back up a lot of ill thought investment and opportunism.

Is it possible the UK could be in the same mess and the fact that they have their own currency could be a saving grace?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I see the Oirish are getting free cheese from the EU cheese mountain, I'm skint where's mine?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Interestingly, I heard that there is no central printing press for Euros, each country prints their own.

So the Irish could start their own QE if they felt like it...
    Who's to know if they did? Mum's the word. They are probably all printing away in secret. Except the Germans.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Can't be bothered to check obviously but seem to recall National Savings and Post Office accounts are with the Bank of Ireland.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Northern & Southern (+Ireland) Euros - the only way

Leave a comment:

Working...
X