• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do you wear a suit to work"

Collapse

• Aman
    replied
    Originally posted by kandr View Post
    Real contractors wear what they want, you work for your own company, would you tell a plumber what to wear?
    They often are told what to wear; 50% navy polyester / 50% tattie sack 'corporate-identity-wear'. Sorry, but what's the point in having a corporate identitiy like that when nearly every other trade firm that has corporate identity wear has the same navy polo shirt & combat trousers combo?

Sod that, I'd wear something more tailored..

Leave a comment:

• Wodewick
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    WTF is a real shirt?

for that matter WTF is a non-real shirt? is that like a long sleeve t-shirt with little buttons drawn on?
    A lumberjack shirt, a short sleeved shirt, a poncy shirt with flap button down breast pockets these are all not real shirts.

A real shirt is a decent shirt with cuffs and a collar that can be worn with a tie and a suit.

any shirts that have sticky up collars to be worn with a bow-tie should only be worn at a proper black or white tie function and not at chav weddings

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
    button up shirt (possibly even a real shirt)
    WTF is a real shirt?

for that matter WTF is a non-real shirt? is that like a long sleeve t-shirt with little buttons drawn on?

Leave a comment:

• Aman
    replied
    I'd prefer to.
    It's not always practical and some firms I've worked for have had dress down Fridays. If I'm commuting weekly on the train or plane, dress down days are a nuisance ... it's just an extra outfit to shlep.
    Last edited by Aman; 2 November 2010, 22:03.

Leave a comment:

• Wodewick
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    A safari suit was never a good look Wod.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I'll have you know my crimpolene suit and bri-nylon shirt is the height of sartorial elegance!
    A safari suit was never a good look Wod.

Leave a comment:

• Wodewick
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Wodders, get a better suit mate. The daffy duck acrylic tie and worn in the seat trouser look isn't doing you justice fella.
    I'll have you know my crimpolene suit and bri-nylon shirt is the height of sartorial elegance!

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    much like Tony Bliar
    Quite!

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    WTF is Suit without a tie??

A suit without the tie is just a bit too "Irish Navvy"/Rab C Nesbitt
    much like Tony Bliar

Nice he made an effort for the troops:
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 2 November 2010, 18:59.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Wodders, get a better suit mate. The daffy duck acrylic tie and worn in the seat trouser look isn't doing you justice fella.

Leave a comment:

• Wodewick
    replied
    Originally posted by More than a few;
    ..... suit without a tie....
    WTF is Suit without a tie??

Shirley dressing goes something like:
    1) Dead casual - Trainers, Jeans, Tee shirts (or even more scruff order)
    2) Casual - Shoes of some kind, non-Jeans keks, Polo or possibly non-smart shirt
    3a) Business Casual (Scruff) - Proper shoes, Chinos, button up shirt
    3b) Business Casual (non-scruff) - Proper shoes, proper trousers, button up shirt (possibly even a real shirt)
    4) Almost formal - PShoes, PTrews, real shirt & tie
    5) Formal - Suit, Shirt and tie (possibly remove jacket when not in meetings)
    6) Stuffy - As above but Jacket on even at desk

A suit without the tie is just a bit too "Irish Navvy"/Rab C Nesbitt

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    If you are Margaret from across the road, I apologise most sincerely for your sudden shock last week when I opened the office blinds whilst stark naked.
    Shock isn't always a bad thing my dear.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Pretty sure you sit opposite me.
    If you are Margaret from across the road, I apologise most sincerely for your sudden shock last week when I opened the office blinds whilst stark naked.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Why are they soiled?
    I'll leave that to the dear, delightful and late Clement Freud to explain.

For those of you that aren't permitted to wear undies in the office or are surrounded by those that still think they have a right not to be offended, then headphones may be required.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    No suit any more. I jacked that in ages ago

I probably don't look too professional at all. Especially not today when I have my cardi on and a massive tissue soaking up (mostly) all the snotty sneezes due to the cold I seem to have developed

Poor me.

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Why are they soiled?
    Presumably he shat into them

Leave a comment:

Working...
X