• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: AA Rip-Off

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "AA Rip-Off"

Collapse

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I think it's less about accuracy, as deliberately leaving a safety margin.
    But then people cotton onto it lying about running out in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, ---- miles so ignore the warnings thinking they can make the next services or petrol station. Particularly when trying to save money so drive past outlets charging a few pence more per litre than they expect 'just down the road'.

Hence why the AA charge everyone (even members, though maybe only the cost of the petrol plus 'handling charge') for running out of fuel. A tax on numpties.

Something I've only ever done when I collected a new (to me) car to find it was indicating empty and didn't even have enough juice to get to the petrol station a couple of miles down the road. Was still closer to walk back to the dealer and force them to sort it out or they were getting the keys shoved where the sun doesn't shine.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    You lost all my sympathy at that point. It is well known that beemers are only driven by pimps and drug dealers. Which are you?
    I loved my 3 Series, broke my heart when I had to get rid off it for a bus due to an increasing libido

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by kandr View Post
    The AA prey on people in the tulip, and royally screw them, I don't mind having to join, but why the £80 fee?
    A company after my own heart

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    You realise you are all ranting to some character who was banned ages ago. Talk about stupid.
    I think we can be confident he's still reading the board.

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    'Tis true. Not recommended unless forced into trying it but cars are not that accurate to tell you when the last mile or two is.
    I think it's less about accuracy, as deliberately leaving a safety margin.

Leave a comment:

• GreenLabel
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    You realise you are all ranting to another sock puppet of mine who was banned ages ago. Talk about stupid.

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Hill Station Murthy View Post
    I have seen the film! I think this movie you are describing a scene from is called The Monster Club starring Wincent Price.

It is a movie in the Hammer portmanteau tradition in which the there are movies within the movie.

I thought it may have been The Ghoul, but as it's not yet available on DVD in the UK I haven't had the chance to watch it in decades.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Break down on the motorway one day without breakdown insurance and the police will just call a local towtruck out and you'll get charged accordingly (i.e shedloads). Worth having just for this.

One thing it doesn't always cover (I think it depends on the company and level paid for) and is not that widely known is if you are in an accident and the car is not driveable then the AA are not oblidged to recover the vehicle off the motorway or to elsewhere. They say it's down to your insurance company.

Found this out on the M6 when involved in a rear end shunt due to low sun blocking people's vision and people driving too close. One of them people may have been me.

The AA did offer to recover me to the nearest services (for safety reasons) after I expressed my surprise and disappointment they didn't make lack of accident cover clear enough in the membership bumpf, and advised I get the insurance company to sort out recovery onwards, which they did.

The AA would have recovered it home or to a destination of my choice for a nominal fee (charged per mile if over a certain distance IIRC) if I wasn't able to sort out an alternative.

Fortunately I could remember which insurance company I was with and they just needed details of the car and myself to confirm I was covered. The AA even let me call the insurance on their phone in the recovery vehicle in case it took a while to sort out (which it did), to save my mobile phone battery.

So overall in my experience they offer a service well worth the price.
    Last edited by PAH; 25 November 2011, 11:45.

Leave a comment:

• Hill Station Murthy
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    They let me down as well. I took a wrong turning and ended up in a remote village. Lost , I got trapped in a church by ghouls. I fought my way out but the AA refused to help.

As I escaped on foot, i was lucky to flag down a police car.

or was I ?

I have seen the film! I think this movie you are describing a scene from is called The Monster Club starring Wincent Price.

It is a movie in the Hammer portmanteau tradition in which the there are movies within the movie.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    You realise you are all ranting to some character who was banned ages ago. Talk about stupid.

Leave a comment:

• GreenLabel
    replied
    Anyone who doesnt pay for breakdown insurance is IMHO stupid.
    This is kandr/russell* we're talking about here.

* Perhaps "Krussell" would be easier from now on?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Anyone who doesnt pay for breakdown insurance is IMHO stupid. It dont cost that much after all.

Break down on the motorway one day without breakdown insurance and the police will just call a local towtruck out and you'll get charged accordingly (i.e shedloads). Worth having just for this.

I think I'm gonna can this contracting idea lark. Just had a cracking business idea. I'm going to offer house insurance but you dont have to pay for it up front - you only pay for it if you claim.

So, your house burns down, you put in a claim for £150K, only then do you have to pay the premium of £250 for the year. Hang on now, I haven't thought this through properly, have I?
    Last edited by psychocandy; 25 November 2011, 11:15.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Havent read the t+cs? Theres a max no of callouts per year.
    Yep. 3 IIRC.

They also don't like being called out for the same problem twice (found that out with the TVR ) as they expect you to fix it after the first time.

AA membership (or any other similar reliable/reputable alternative) is one of the few insurance policies I'm glad to pay for.

You find that out when stranded hundreds of miles from home, with hardly any cash on you, in the dead of night, and with a mobile phone on low battery so have only one or two calls possible before it goes dead.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    I forgot to mention, the AA guy was overtly homosexual, I don't know how he gets any though, being 5 foot bald and missing some teeth, says he also works in some IT calll centre.
    Deffo deserve a refund if the patrolman was gay then. how dare they send a fudge packer out? I'd write to your MP if I were you !!!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Ill be getting my £80 back by calling them out every week of the next year. I now have my own mobile petrol station!!!
    Havent read the t+cs? Theres a max no of callouts per year.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    If you guys think £140 for driving a few miles to give someone a can or two of petrol is not a rip off then, WTF next you'll be saying getting paid £400 a day for sitting posting on CUK is not a rip off......oh wait.
    FFS. Dont run out or petrol then?

Or at least have the sense to join the AA in advance. About 10 people on here have already tried to explain the principal of insurance to you i.e. you pay upfront in case something happens not when it happens.

Failure to understand how this works seems astounding to me. What do you expect?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X