• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Double Summer time

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Double Summer time"

Collapse

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Every year this comes up in the papers as they are too bone-idle to write news stories.

It is all al load of bollocks.

What we need is flexible working, remote working and decent furkin management that allows people to be measured on results, not their ability to leave their fat arse in a chair from 9 to 5 every day.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    It would also bring our office hours inline with most of the EU, which has got to be good, especially for The Hun who get two extra hours per day to bomb London without going into overtime. But nobody ever thinks of The Hun.
    Aargh no! I used to work at a European subsidiary of a UK company. We liked that hour's peace in the morning before the UK started work and phoning us up.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Seems a bit mad to put the clocks back just as it's starting to get dark too early already. Why don't they wait until the beginning of summer to put them back?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    The last time this was done, the Hun were busily bombing the tulipe out of us.
    It would also bring our office hours inline with most of the EU, which has got to be good, especially for The Hun who get two extra hours per day to bomb London without going into overtime. But nobody ever thinks of The Hun.

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    I'm coordinating clock change activities this weekend at client co, one area has produced a plan which has over 400 activities. Brand new ERP system. Just service transitioned into operations - why didn't anyone check this?

They want a 6 hour outage.

400 activities twice a year, every year.

Why oh why...

T

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Didn't the Soviet Union have just one timezone?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by kandr View Post
    Where does it say one-off?, its a bit unclear and I think that was what the gingerjedi was talking about.

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I don't think that anyone has really suggested that.

The only proposal that I have heard of is a once-off skipping putting the clocks back one year.

I suppose I could roll with the comic version though and we could just put the clocks one hour forward each year. It would be freaky but I think it might be rather fun.
    Where does it say one-off?, its a bit unclear and I think that was what the gingerjedi was talking about.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by kandr View Post
    Think about what happens when you put the clock forward year after year without putting it back? Cmon you can do it.
    I don't think that anyone has really suggested that.

The only proposal that I have heard of is a once-off skipping putting the clocks back one year.

I suppose I could roll with the comic version though and we could just put the clocks one hour forward each year. It would be freaky but I think it might be rather fun.

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    The problem would be that Greenwich, the very centre of time around the globe would never be on Greenwich Mean Time, it would always be on GMT+1 or GMT+2.

I think the earth might stop rotating on its axis.

Other than that I would have loved it if this was done years ago.
    Think about what happens when you put the clock forward year after year without putting it back? Cmon you can do it.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Does anyone see a problem here?
    The problem would be that Greenwich, the very centre of time around the globe would never be on Greenwich Mean Time, it would always be on GMT+1 or GMT+2.

I think the earth might stop rotating on its axis.

Other than that I would have loved it if this was done years ago.

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Yeah, he hasn't thought it through, like the nurse who washed all her geriatrics falsers in a big basin.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    If we did this it would result in thousands of Scottish people having to start drinking in the dark every morning.
    Obviously it should be a devolved power. Let the Scots decide for themselves, and let the English decide for England.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    If we did this it would result in thousands of Scottish people having to start drinking in the dark every morning.

I think you'll find that is racist

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Not putting the clocks back on Sunday morning but still putting them forward in the spring would increase daylight hours and encourage more outdoor activity, suggests a report in the British Medical Journal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X