• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: 80s nostalgia

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "80s nostalgia"

Collapse

• Alf W
    replied
    Nostalgia's a pot best left unstirred.

Remember Fuzzbox?

Wendy James?

So, let's leave this one in the past.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Meeting Gary Numan in a hotel in Glasgow (while completely pissed) and telling him that "D'ya wanna be in my gang" was his best track

I'd love to have done that.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    The red triangle that Channel 4 used to helpfully display to tell teenage boys whether a programme was worth watching or not.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Dragon 32
    Ocean Software
    Atari 130xe
    Ferranti
    Iron Maiden
    S'Quo

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Uni
    Revising on hot summer evenings
    Ben Trumans
    CX500 (Despatch riding in central London)

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Roland Juno 6
    Tascam Portastudio
    Cubase 1.0 on an Atari
    Still got an old Juno 6 that I had midi retrofitted in the early 90's (don't really use it any more though).

Cubase for the Atari on ONE DD Floppy and it still did everything you wanted it to.

Alesis SR16 Sequencers

Meeting Gary Numan in a hotel in Glasgow (while completely pissed) and telling him that "D'ya wanna be in my gang" was his best track

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    The red triangle that Channel 4 used to helpfully display to tell teenage boys whether a programme was worth watching or not.

Leave a comment:

• Aman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Sisters of Mercy, Pixies, Fields of the Nephilim, Yamaha RD350LC, bones that healed in a few weeks, clearasil, Ian Botham, nights out in shoegazing clubs with loose birds, ...
    WHS
    Alt goth / industrial; Sisterhood, March Violets, Bauhaus, Killing Joke, NewModel Army, Nitzer Ebb, Front 242 ...
    YMO, Depeche Mode, ,
    Doing full tours, hitchiking gig to gig with kitbag on back, crashing on some strangers floor after the gig.
    Parties in old abandonded warehouses in Hackney
    M1 house sound, 303 acid bass sound
    Big hair, padded shoulders and white stilletos on the square girls.
    Only a few clubs in town.
    Channel 4
    Coming home from a night out at club closing time (01:00) and watching Open University

Being well paid.
    A practically non-existant accreditaition industry.
    Social mobility, though as a phenomenom that lasted through most the 90s, until 1997 to be exact.
    Not being anatomically attached to a computer at home, editing CVs in order to find jobs.
    Freedom of movement of trade in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    UFO Master Blaster

Still got it, and it still works!

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Ghettoblasters
    School discos
    De la soul
    Whose line is it anyway
    Dirty Den
    Ricky Villa
    Linda Lusardi
    Theme from S Express
    Kylie
    Boris Becker

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    No, it was an irresponsibly affordable, unfeasibly fast motorbike designed by a psychopath and marketed to 17 year olds as a method of Darwinian selection. Those who survived were either;
    - incredibly talented motorcyclists or
    - provided by their genes with a remarkably durable skeleton

You see the trouble was that up to about 5 or 6 thousand rpm, it felt like a slow, quite civilised motorbike. Above that all hell broke loose and it turned into Beelzebub's rocketship. Now, if you went into a bend in, say, third gear, and then accelerated out, you would often hit the so-called 'power band' (the point where the motor's power suddenly rises toward a peak) before straightening the bike, and the back would simply break out; alternatively, if it was a warm day with lots of grip the front wheel would rise, giving no steering, and you'd hit a tree.

The chaps at Yamaha sorted the problem on later models with a so-called power-valve (YPVS), which adjusted the airflow into the cylinders to ensure a more gentle and predictable supply of power; obviously, that meant anyone with a YPVS model was a bit of a wimp.
    I had a Yahama 125 DTLC, re-sprocketed to a TZR 250 spec. It was a bitch to hit the power band in 6th until I bored the ports out. I was clocked by a friend in his Granada, and I was doing 105mph . I was a total lunatic in those days.
    Last edited by suityou01; 26 October 2010, 22:38.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    After hearing Kraftwerk like Trio's Da Da Da I went out and bought a Casio VL-1, that was fun wee toy.

Met up and had a tune with the Beach Boys recently, can't say they've influenced me in any way.
    No Wilson brothers, no beach boys.

The coda to 'Surfs up' must shurely be the most beautiful music ever created, the vocals straight after the middle 8 in 'don't worry baby', Wilson wrote 'the warmth of the sun' the night kennedy was shot and Rufus Wainwright calls it his favourite song, the Beatles wrote 'here there an everywhere' the night they heard pet sounds and McCartney has stated god only knows is his favourite song. Good enough for me.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    There was a quite humerous clip of kraftwerk on tomorrow's world in the late 60s I thnk, the presenter was saying "and in the future they expect to be playing these instruments in their clothing"

kraftwerk were the biggest influence on popular music since the beach boys who kraftwerk described as their biggest influence.
    After hearing Kraftwerk like Trio's Da Da Da I went out and bought a Casio VL-1, that was fun wee toy.

Met up and had a tune with the Beach Boys recently, can't say they've influenced me in any way.
    Last edited by Cliphead; 26 October 2010, 22:00.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Not knocking the 80's sampled sounds at all, 'some' music was driven by the latest tech but inspiration and creativity far outweigh novel sounds. In my opinion nothing yet comes close to a great guitar solo.
    There was a quite humerous clip of kraftwerk on tomorrow's world in the late 60s I thnk, the presenter was saying "and in the future they expect to be playing these instruments in their clothing"

kraftwerk were the biggest influence on popular music since the beach boys who kraftwerk described as their biggest influence.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    You can't blow away all 80's sample songs. Ok the classic fairlight song was axel f, granted but zoolook and electric cafe were both works of great significance. Dare by the league is still the greatest electronic album of the 80s though.
    Not knocking the 80's sampled sounds at all, 'some' music was driven by the latest tech but inspiration and creativity far outweigh novel sounds. In my opinion nothing yet comes close to a great guitar solo.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X