• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I'm thinking about getting a bigger tent"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Personally, I don't think you could beat the old fashioned phone box for a night's kip for the cost-conscious traveller wanting to travel light.

Once you'd got over the smell of wee, obviously.
    I don't think Wolf Grylls has a problem with the taste smell of wee.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    This looks like a nice tent too:

It would be handy if one could rely on the dimensions given in the sales bumf, because on paper it looks well big enough. But then again, so did my current tent. This disparity I assume derives from the dimensions being given when the tent is flat on the ground, unerected. But once it's up, part of the floor curves into the lower sides and then curves upward at quite a steep angle to the roof. This angle makes all the difference. So at head level (when lying down) you've already lost perhaps a foot of floor length. The rest of the disparity perhaps arises from figures they've just plucked out of thin air.
    Coleman Rock Springs Three Man Tent - Green/Grey: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure

However if you are taller than 6 foot I would recommend even bigger tent - me and my boyfriend are quite tall and just about fitted in lengthwise.
    Darn it.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I like the idea of having a nice holiday abroad for sub £50, and camping has pros as well as cons. Often campsites are situated in nice places and you don't have maids coming to clean your room, or waiters hovering over you or a room smelling of piss (not of your own making). The very idea of using a room that has been used by thousands of others before you and paying huge amounts of money for a bed for the night doesn't appeal at all. And then they'll rip you off on food; some even charge £2 for a teabag. Oh no, ghastly places all round. But in answer to your question, yes
    Why not earn proper money and go to a 5 star hotel where your every whim is catered for?
    Tents are for plebs and teenagers.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    My childhood memories of camping are COLD. Cold tent, cold everything while trying to sleep. Put me off for life.
    Sounds like Britain in summer. I've not camped there.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    I only go to warm places. What kind of holiday would it be to go someplace cold? Ok, skiing, maybe. Or do you mean the showers are cold? Yeah, that happens. Warmish anyway.
    My childhood memories of camping are COLD. Cold tent, cold everything while trying to sleep. Put me off for life.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I only go to warm places. What kind of holiday would it be to go someplace cold? Ok, skiing, maybe. Or do you mean the showers are cold? Yeah, that happens. Warmish anyway.
    I usually camp here...

THey had to airlift people out a couple of years ago when the burn broke its banks.

There is a funny video online somewhere of tents being washed away.
    Last edited by minestrone; 25 October 2010, 14:36.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    But, camping? Ugh. Freezing cold and communal shower blocks.

<Shudder>

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    You ain't going to find Belluci washing her pits in a campsite shower
    Don't destroy my fantasy!

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    That could have its attractions...
    You ain't going to find Belluci washing her pits in a campsite shower

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied

<Shudder>
    That could have its attractions...

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    I like the idea of having a nice holiday abroad for sub £50, and camping has pros as well as cons. Often campsites are situated in nice places and you don't have maids coming to clean your room, or waiters hovering over you or a room smelling of piss (not of your own making). The very idea of using a room that has been used by thousands of others before you and paying huge amounts of money for a bed for the night doesn't appeal at all. And then they'll rip you off on food; some even charge £2 for a teabag. Oh no, ghastly places all round. But in answer to your question, yes

<Shudder>

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    You love a bargain don't you TW?

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    That's no better than a hotel room though, except in price.
    You love a bargain don't you TW?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Personally, I don't think you could beat the old fashioned phone box for a night's kip for the cost-conscious traveller wanting to travel light.

Once you'd got over the smell of wee, obviously.
    That's no better than a hotel room though, except in price.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Why bother with a rucksack when you have a perfectly serviceable wheelie bin?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X