• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What's the worst job you've had."

Collapse

• wobbegong
    replied
    Cooking and delivering burgers and frogs legs in a crappy take away on the Fulham Palace Road.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    I carried weft to t'looms.

Noisy.

Very noisy.

So noisy that for the first few days I was getting singing in my ears during my post work bath. Oh, it was hot and sweaty too.

They didn't have ear protectors in those days.

I managed to escape to the warehouse after a while. Never ending cups of tea coupled with some heavy lifting. I didn't need a gym to keep up with my training, some of those wool skips were over 100 Kg. Knackering yes, but when I got back to college there a definite improvement in the weights I could handle.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Non Contract -In a manufacturing plant making automatic garage door openers -I was a gobby 16 year old - the manager was a smart arse 30 ish year old - I didn't last long

Contract - the Home Office - vowed never to do Public Sector again

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    I spent most of a weekend dressed up as Muzzy the BBC language teaching vaguely bear like thing:

Children can be right buggers when they want to, but parents who let their little darlings attack, slobber over, scream at and generally abuse innocent teenagers who have been roped in to help their Dad should be shot.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Big global corps, bunch of 's

whs^1,000,000,000

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Boudica View Post
    worked as a waitress in my teens, i was hopeless, people get so annoyed when you get their order wrong or just bring one steak for two of them, then i realised it could be fun to do it deliberately, especially if they were arsey
    If a waitress brings the wrong dish I'm really not bothered as long as it tastes good. The only thing I don't really like is salmon, and other than that I don't mind.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    This one, 5 months working for IBM only to be TUPE'd to Fujitsu as of Monday.

Got the redundancy notice from Fujitsu yesterday 3 days before I've even started.

Big global corps, bunch of 's

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Telesales, selling toner cartridges and cold calling. Lasted 3 weeks, really hated it.

Leave a comment:

• Boudica
    replied
    worked as a waitress in my teens, i was hopeless, people get so annoyed when you get their order wrong or just bring one steak for two of them, then i realised it could be fun to do it deliberately, especially if they were arsey

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Tell me about it - Bloody yanks couldn't understand me & were awful tippers... considering how shirty they get over there if you don't tip properly, they are quite happy to not bother everywhere else!
    They've tipped quite a lot of explosives on some countries.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Yanks. Ugh.
    Especially in hotels and restaurants, closely followed by the Dutch and, nowadays, the Russians. All three are strong enough reasons not to work in the hotel and restaurant business.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Yanks. Ugh.

I did a bit of waitressing in my parents restaurant a few times, but I was pretty bad. Too clumsy and impatient.
    Tell me about it - Bloody yanks couldn't understand me & were awful tippers... considering how shirty they get over there if you don't tip properly, they are quite happy to not bother everywhere else!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I spent a while heat sealing plastic linings in sewage installations; smelly, dirty, hot and generally unpleasant, but quite well paid at the time; almost 3 times minimum wage, which isn´t bad at 22. First job in IT was helpdesk for bookkeeping software; so boring and regimented (5 minutes per day allowed for visits to bog, only with permission) I almost went back to the sewage job, but then got a rather cushy analysts' job at the water board. Still took me about 4 years before I earned as much as I had in the sewer.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Summer job in a coffee-shop in my home town. Right on the bus route for American Tourists... it was rammed every bloody day of the summer holidays. I HATED it!!
    Yanks. Ugh.

I did a bit of waitressing in my parents restaurant a few times, but I was pretty bad. Too clumsy and impatient.

Leave a comment:

• GillsMan
    replied
    Without a shadow of a doubt the three weeks I spent at Huntress as an IT recruitment consultant were about the most miserable of my life.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X