• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Boom-ity Boom Boom

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Boom-ity Boom Boom"

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Did that a few years back and did all the work at home. If you provide good value they'll probably send you bits and pieces for a few years after that too. I was in line for another big package of work but the company went into liquidation.
    I did it for a year back in '95 (same organisation, pre takeover) and it worked really well.

This place, like most big organisations, has a bug in their arses about working from home. On this gig, I deal with Bobs in Bobland and Accidenture Cockneys and sometimes people in the same town but different buildings. We never have face to face meetings (or very rarely). I could never get the mentality that says it's OK to work with a team 6000 miles away but it's totally unacceptable to work with a team 6400 miles away

Still, at least they are seeing sense this time.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Did that a few years back and did all the work at home. If you provide good value they'll probably send you bits and pieces for a few years after that too. I was in line for another big package of work but the company went into liquidation.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    It's the Waverley!!

I think the Rev. I Am Jolly would have delivered a good budget.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Well done. An early christmas indeed.

Used to travel away always leaving me exhausted and not worth a tuppeny bit. Now Mrs scooter and I travel together, works a charm, but the motherland is always calling.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Well done. An early christmas indeed.

Used to travel away always leaving me exhausted and not worth a tuppeny bit. Now Mrs scooter and I travel together, works a charm, but the motherland is always calling.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Oh, well done!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Glasgow is 'commutable', everything else is 'stay away'.

To be honest, i've been contracting 15 years and staying away most of that. Have just come to a point where I can't really be arsed any more, so was going to pack this contract at the end and carry on with Plan B. Plan B makes a living but nothing like contracting money.

Working from home sounds like a way to go for a few months.
    Ideal!! Congrats!!

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Surely if you live on a Scottish island then everywhere's going to be a long way away?
    Glasgow is 'commutable', everything else is 'stay away'.

To be honest, i've been contracting 15 years and staying away most of that. Have just come to a point where I can't really be arsed any more, so was going to pack this contract at the end and carry on with Plan B. Plan B makes a living but nothing like contracting money.

Working from home sounds like a way to go for a few months.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    oooooh... Push for rate rise too
    LOL......you are a proper contractor mate

The rate bit had been discussed well in advance of the working from home thingy.

Have never felt guilty about accepting an offer before but the smallish rate rise (on an already decent rate) on top of not having to frequent this tulip hole three weeks out of four, makes me feel guilty for taking advantage of their good nature.

Wait a minute, no it ******* doesn't

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Surely if you live on a Scottish island then everywhere's going to be a long way away?

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Told Client Co last week that I wouldn't be renewing when contract was up (Christmas, they like to ask early) due to being too far away from home. (Home = Scottish Island, Work=West Yorkshire).

Client Co comes back and says "If we let you work from home three weeks out of four, would you renew ?"

I said I'd think about it.
    oooooh... Push for rate rise too

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    started a topic Boom-ity Boom Boom

Boom-ity Boom Boom

Told Client Co last week that I wouldn't be renewing when contract was up (Christmas, they like to ask early) due to being too far away from home. (Home = Scottish Island, Work=West Yorkshire).

Client Co comes back and says "If we let you work from home three weeks out of four, would you renew ?"

I said I'd think about it.

Working...
X