• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Just got a Windows 7 phone"

Collapse

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    I've taken it back and swapped it for an HTC Desire
    • Kept rebooting itself when trying to make outbound calls
    • kept losing internet connection and having to be rebooted to establish a new connection
    • Everything you need to do on a WP7 can be done on an android/iphone
    • No apps yet! Not even a single FX one and I don't want to wait for one to come out. Plus my broker has an iphone app and is developing an android one but have no plans to make a WP7 version - so "fer that reason, Ahm oot!"
    Glad I asked - think I'll be going for an iphone then!!

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    I've taken it back and swapped it for an HTC Desire
    • Kept rebooting itself when trying to make outbound calls
    • kept losing internet connection and having to be rebooted to establish a new connection
    • Everything you need to do on a WP7 can be done on an android/iphone
    • No apps yet! Not even a single FX one and I don't want to wait for one to come out. Plus my broker has an iphone app and is developing an android one but have no plans to make a WP7 version - so "fer that reason, Ahm oot!"

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I had a dabble with one of these in the shop, the HTC HD one that o2 do and it seemed quite good. On my couple of mins play the only thing I couldn't find was = for use in Excel. So I think for me it is a straight race between a Windows 7 one and an iPhone 4

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Anyone care to speculate what a "phone" will look like in 10 years time?
    I think tablets, laptops and phones will merge and the lines between them become increasingly blurred. I think a flexible screen that rolls out some how will allow you to carry a laptop in you pocket. or it might just be IPhone 10 with 20 MP camera and more memory,

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Anyone care to speculate what a "phone" will look like in 10 years time?

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    I like the windows one and am glad I got it. It's randomly rebooted itself a couple of times but they never get these things right first time so I'm sure there will be some hotfixes to be released.

Here's a good video about HTC vs iPhone 4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg
    Looks like the HD7 is having the same problem as the HD2.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by kandr View Post
    The reviews seem to be favorable, however I'm not sure if they re coming to late to the market, and not offering anything more the IPhone or Android based phones offer.
    What I really want out of a phone is something like a mini laptop i.e. works well with Office which I presume the Windows phone does. Also a fair amount of onboard storage and expandable by memory cards if possible!

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    The reviews seem to be favorable, however I'm not sure if they re coming to late to the market, and not offering anything more the IPhone or Android based phones offer.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied

"It has an app which will build you an island then it f**king transforms into a plane and flies you there."

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    So after a few days with these windows phones, how are they doing. I'm getting a new phone in a couple of months. My wife has an iphone 4 and I'm not that impressed, but I like the way pretty much everything seems to work - a big change to the crappy n97 I've put up with for the past 18 months!
    I like the windows one and am glad I got it. It's randomly rebooted itself a couple of times but they never get these things right first time so I'm sure there will be some hotfixes to be released.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    So after a few days with these windows phones, how are they doing. I'm getting a new phone in a couple of months. My wife has an iphone 4 and I'm not that impressed, but I like the way pretty much everything seems to work - a big change to the crappy n97 I've put up with for the past 18 months!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Their Keyboards and mice are pretty decent as well, however these are isolated products.

BTW - does anyone use OneNote and can explain what it does? I've got it but never quite saw the point.
    I use OneNote.

Basically its a replacement for a pen and paper method of taking notes.
    Its very adaptable.
    I use it for...
    • Task planning - it links into Outlook tasks and so links with my phone
    • Making detailed notes on those tasks and reorganising them
    • Making initial project plans
    • Making development notes - with links and clippings
    • Making initial drafts of documents - with screen grabs
    • Storing lists of servers/databases with user names/passwords and notes on whats on each box - you can password protect sections

Basically anything which you want to keep notes of you can with OneNote.
    The mobile version is very basic but as soon as you sync your phone with your laptop all your mobile notes are then available in the OneNote application. So if you're out somewhere and you think of something you can note it, you can take a photo of whatever and attach it to the note.
    It works the otherway round too - i.e. you can drag notes to your mobile section, sync and then you have that note on your mobile. Very handy if you want to take some info with you.

OneNote is what kept me away from Apple and Android. I never carry pen and paper with me but I do have my phone!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    xbox
    SQL Server

not inept products
    Their Keyboards and mice are pretty decent as well, however these are isolated products.

BTW - does anyone use OneNote and can explain what it does? I've got it but never quite saw the point.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Any HTC Desire HD love around here? I went into the shop today (or yesterday) to ask if they had any idea when they were likely to be released because I've seen no adverts in the papers (loads for the new Nokia smart phone and the Windows 7 phones etc). Turns out they had them in stock and had done for a couple of days. Amazed there's been no fanfare. I got one straight away, seeing as my existing contract has just ended.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    I think you are reading too much into it.

MS have a history of being inept outside its core products (Windows/Office) which extends to the present day - it's a corporate culture thing.
    xbox
    SQL Server

not inept products

Leave a comment:

Working...
X