• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Selling a the company instead of closing ?"

Collapse

• DeludedAussie
    replied
    Did the OP actually end up getting advice of whether a company with history is worth retaining?

What figure did he manage to get? This would certainly be a help to a few people on here going forward I would think

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    You need access to my inbox, the thought that pops into my mind while reading emails from business is "are you on drugs"

5 more weeks
    Just think of the money, honey!

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Thanks, I really needed a laugh today.
    You need access to my inbox, the thought that pops into my mind while reading emails from business is "are you on drugs"

5 more weeks

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    It is not a wrong forum to ask the question. This isnt Mumsnet, this is a forum filled with educated bright IT contractors who know a bit about setting up companies etc.
    Thanks, I really needed a laugh today.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
    You must be on the bench right now....no way you'd type out such detailed response for every post!!

bench? what's that? I've been working hard here in Munich for the past 2 years. Ok things are a bit slow right now but only because deadline was last friday and now it's in the test team's hands.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by minsky1 View Post
    Im with testmangler on this one ..... by virtue of it having a trading history it does has a value.

As he says, its the wrong forum to ask the question as from a contractors perspective as you wouldnt need a company with a trading history.
    It is not a wrong forum to ask the question. This isnt Mumsnet, this is a forum filled with educated bright IT contractors who know a bit about setting up companies etc.

Leave a comment:

• wantacontract
    replied
    Chef you have too much time on your hands...

Originally posted by chef View Post
    Ok, we're getting there, you think 1 grand is a good value for your co. I'll persist as I'm genuinely interested. Lets play yes/no then instead as you seem either pretty cagey or you're hiding something.

If I pay you £1,000 for your co.

Would I get:
    -a company bank account?
    -any cash capital?
    -any other capital (printers, phones, office signs, stationery etc.)
    -legal rights of company ownership?
    -any electronic rights i.e Domain Name, Website, control of any hosting packages currently assigned to the business
    -100% share rights
    -100% control over the company (i.e you are not a silent partner or non-exec director)
    -company logo rights/templates

Some yes/no questions about the company's health and the sale:
    -does the company have any debts in any form whatsoever?
    -will there be sufficient funds included in the company accounts to cover any bills up to the point of sale?
    -will you pay for an accountant to draw up company accounts up to the point of sale including any future income/debts/expenditure you are aware of?
    -will you pay for any costs in transferring the company from you to me inlcuding bank account, web space, domain name transfers and any other associated company details.
    -will you pay for a solicitor to write a contract to state the answers to my above questions?

In fact I'm selling a pen here, It's existed a few years and still writes, shall we swap for your co.? I was thinking of selling it for a grand as someone mentioned it was possible so it seems a fair deal so far unless i get further details.

If you want to know if the pen i'm selling is a rare collectors edition mont blanc or a biro I swiped from Argos then if you tell me further details about what I might get if I purchase your co. for £1,000, I'll tel lyou more about my pen and you can then decide if I should dip into my future childrens hard earned inheritence or swap it for a pen.
    You must be on the bench right now....no way you'd type out such detailed response for every post!!

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Pentoville?

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    So where are you going for the next 4 years ?
    Pentoville?

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravello View Post
    Whilst there might be some value associated with a 3 yr trading history, the full value of the company can not be assessed without answering at least some of, if not all of Chef's questions...
    Absolutely. Said that in post #19. (If he was selling it himself).

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    Whilst there might be some value associated with a 3 yr trading history, the full value of the company can not be assessed without answering at least some of, if not all of Chef's questions...

Leave a comment:

• minsky1
    replied
    Im with testmangler on this one ..... by virtue of it having a trading history it does has a value.

As he says, its the wrong forum to ask the question as from a contractors perspective as you wouldnt need a company with a trading history.

If your tendering for a local governement contract for example and you have the experience but your company does not have the 3 year accounts history, your response will not be shortlisted.

Obviously what the company trades in will have a bearing on whether its of use to the new owner. If its a personal service company, then I would doubt it, unless the new owner has some opportunities lined up which require production of 3 years worth of accounts and his current tax avoidance vehicle doesn't have this.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by supergal View Post
    going nonresident ...
    So where are you going for the next 4 years ?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    I do so love people who make sweeping judgements about others..
    In general though, he's right. The odd proper company here doesn't change the fact that in general CUK members are not typical companies. That's the point of a generalisation...

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Chef, you seem to think I was having a go at you. Not the case.

I was trying to point out to the OP why selling his company may work for him and examples of why someone my want to pay for it.

I also advised him that he may want to go to the professionals for advice. (In a round about kind of a way )

Wasn't having a pop at the questions you were asking. You are correct, if the OP tries to sell a company himself, he'll need to be able to answer all of your q's and more.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X