• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Teaching science

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Teaching science"

Collapse

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    I suppose the teachers should also be capable of teaching these complex sciences.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    gymnastics sessions
    This would avoid the lardiness of most UK teenagers.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    The first (Chinese) reminds me of Pure Maths 'A' level question, perhaps being one of the easier ones, while the second (English) I don't think would have been difficult enough to appear on an 'O' level paper a couple of decades ago.
    Hmmm, but I wonder whether you would really want Chinese education in Britain. Drilling maths into young children along with Maoist singalongs, torturous gymnastics sessions etc. is perhaps the opposite extreme to working out the length of the hypoteneuse while munching another bag of crisps.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    The first (Chinese) reminds me of Pure Maths 'A' level question, perhaps being one of the easier ones, while the second (English) I don't think would have been difficult enough to appear on an 'O' level paper a couple of decades ago.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    Chinese prisms have a reputation for being quite tough.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    Reminds me of this:

Chinese Students Maths Question vs English Students Maths Question

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Anyway, seeing as Tetra means 4, surely the only possible shape for a molecule of carbon tetrabromide is a tetrahedron, as anyone with a basic knowledge of classical studies would know without using Valences, shells, repulsive stuff or google.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Yep, and half of those asked didn't understand the question.
    Doesn't matter, I believe examination boards provide the answers on the back of the paper, and where that doesn't work, on the front.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I have sweaty lungs but they've been much better since I started inhaling deoderant.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Agree in principle - but I think that needs changing to

"In England, some 16-year-olds are asked in their science exams whether we sweat through our lungs or our skin."
    Yep, and half of those asked didn't understand the question.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    I don't agree with Gove on much, but this caught my eye:
    Agree in principle - but I think that needs changing to

"In England, some 16-year-olds are asked in their science exams whether we sweat through our lungs or our skin."

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    started a topic Teaching science

Teaching science

I don't agree with Gove on much, but this caught my eye:

Gove also said he wanted GCSE maths and science exams to be made tougher, adding: "We urgently need to ensure our children study rigorous disciplines instead of pseudo-subjects.

"In Massachusetts, 16-year-olds are asked, in their science exams, to identify the shape of a carbon tetrabromide molecule as predicted by the valence-shell repulsion theory.

"In England, 16-year-olds are asked in their science exams whether we sweat through our lungs or our skin."

Working...
X