• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Naval ships need welders? Import Poles"

Collapse

• mrdonuts
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    £15 per hour is just £562 per week, or £30k per year BEFORE all sort of taxes which would take back 50% easy, hardly a massive salary for people who are tasked to build stuff like aircraft carriers.
    and not the healthiest of jobs either, far more dangerous than teachers or firemen who are paid far too much
    Last edited by mrdonuts; 4 October 2010, 09:21.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    This a vicious circle. If fewer British workers are taken on to save cash or due to supposed shortage, fewer will train as is no demand/low pay. If foreign contractors are taken on instead of British it is those that will have the experience and gain the future jobs.
    This damaging effect applies to professional jobs too, as in the NHS.

Non-EU doctors to be barred from UK training posts | News

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Why cant they get Billy Connoly in to weld up the aircraft carriers ? It's about time he gave something back. He could even get to name them if he wants
    how about 'wee jobbie' and 'the big yin'

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Even Dyson himself depends on foreign nationals for his operations.
    Dyson shut down the UK manufacturing operation and shipped it out East...he got a knighthood for that

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    I think it has little to do with not having enough skilled people available, but more a case of not having enough skilled people prepared to do the work for minimum wage.
    I disagree.

Hands on skills in the country, particularly engineering, is severely lacking. Various engineering departments I've worked you'd be lucky if the a 3rd of the office was British. Even Dyson himself depends on foreign nationals for his operations.

I've been trying to recruit in the last year myself. Even a little common sense is unattainable.

Folks in this country are not interested in engineering. All that interests is how to make a quick buck.

We'll learn the hard way long before it's too late...

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    IT is going the same way as ship building, assuming it isn't dead in the water already.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    All the welders I used to know got laid off nearly 30 years ago

Thatcher, I blame you for thinking that if you didn't own a shop your labours were dispensable.

And your typical grocer's shop was wrapped up in Resale price maintenance

Fine when you have a monopoly and can afford to despise the lower classes. Crap when you need the skills that have been destroyed.

Question to Maggie: Who used to spend money in your father's shop?

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    I think it has little to do with not having enough skilled people available, but more a case of not having enough skilled people prepared to do the work for minimum wage.
    We've seen the system admin jobs at £8/£9 a hour. Presumably when no decent applicants apply then the overseas lot are bought in.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    That's what happens when you stop recruiting apprentices for 15 years.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    £15 per hour is just £562 per week, or £30k per year BEFORE all sort of taxes which would take back 50% easy, hardly a massive salary for people who are tasked to build stuff like aircraft carriers.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    even £15 an hour does not sound massive to me
    Well yes, surely if you need skilled experienced workers that is not ott. At some stage the government may realise (although I'm not hopeful) that the more local workers are deprived of work and become dependent on benefits, the bigger the deficit (or lower tax receipts). If the whole thing collapses, I'd like to see Fox, Osborne, Brown, Mandelson et al taken to the tower for betraying the country.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    If they pay to little for work (even £15 an hour does not sound massive to me), WTF those things cost £2 bln?!?!?! It can't be all metal.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    The welding quality of Eastern europeans compared to those at home is massive.

A small company I once worked for thought they could save a buck by exporting the steel to poland for welding and shipping it back to the UK.

The chief engineer and I went down to the workshop with a hammer and almost separated 2 welded fabrications that were supposed to hold a load of 30 tons!

Naturally the project was delayed and delivered at a considerably loss while we did the work ourselves as we should have done from the beginning.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    That's what happens when you stop recruiting apprentices for 15 years.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    So British tradesmen will be paid £15/hour while 'some' Polish workers will be paid £8 / hour. This doesn't appear to make sense, with two people doing similar jobs being paid a different wage based on ethnicity, unless two different job categories are being welded into one for the story.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X