• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Grand Designs.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Grand Designs."

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Soon as I seen the flat roof I though these jokers were in trouble.

This could turn out bad.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    did you see that BBC built for £100K?

he was doing it fairly conventionally with 4 bedrooms, they kept saying rip the walls down, it needs bigger windows - its in Leeds sandwiched in the shared garages area FFS. He needs 4 bedrooms and decent views to sell it. Not a 3 bedroom with aircraft hanger master bedroom and lots of views of people's back gardens.

BBC Two - The House That £100k Built, Martin

'its very expensive to finish the interior walls, leave the skirting board off it will save a fortune'
    ????

They then show a house 'cheaply finished' with 38mm ply. Its most economic wall was a huge wired security glass that must have cost a few hundred.

Maybe they would have been better to tell him to avoid cladding it in stone (£6k) and expensive treated wood (£8k) and rendered it (£1k) instead.

I did however like the slate exterior cladding, a nice luxury.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Well, last night's ep was odd.

They managed to build the damn thing in 7 months.

I was quite impressed.

Kev's new shed programme is on on Sunday, by the by.
    and under budget

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    It was great, wasn't it.

But I'm sure I'd get fed up with needing stairs or the lift to go from one room to another.
    They should remove the lift and force a fat person to live there.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    It was great, wasn't it.

But I'm sure I'd get fed up with needing stairs or the lift to go from one room to another.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I bet they have a kettle and some cups hidden away in a cupboard up in the 'tank room'.

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    replied
    It certainly did look good when it was finished. 8 months from derelict to finished was pretty amazing too.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Basil Fawlty View Post
    "Vince is happily married to Anne and they have a son Athol who has also enjoyed success as a musician. Vince enjoys cooking, painting, gardening and boating and he and Annie love nothing better than sailing down the river Thames in their boat 'The Mem Sahib' or entertaining in their beautiful home on the "celebrity mile" of the Thames."

Yep, it was him. The wife in the interview was called Ann.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    ohh he's in IT Nigel Offley- our paths may have crossed in the past
    I must be losing touch. From their home page, what is the "European IT channel"?

Leave a comment:

• Basil Fawlty
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    By the way, was that THE Vince Hill who lives next door?
    I think it might well be :

Vince Hill, Biography, Pictures and Discography

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I noticed he had a scar on his top lip, I thought that must have came from a slap.

Did MF punch him?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Did the new husband looked familiar to anyone else?
    ohh he's in IT Nigel Offley- our paths may have crossed in the past

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Some interesting comments on C4 catchup 4OD

]an on 11 October 2012 at 09:09

Thought the house last night looked fantastic, well done to the couple for sticking to their guns. After all the trouble they had getting planning permission and then at the outset with no main contractors, architect or house, it was brilliant to see it all come together. A huge well done to all involved.
    Peter on 10 October 2012 at 23:16

Loved the exterior cladding.
    Joseph on 10 October 2012 at 22:35

The house in tonight's episode was incredible. The garden was amazing and the whole house definitely had the "wow" factor. I especially like the use of sweeping curves in the build and it's a property I would live in. All that for £1.5m? You know it's worth a lot more. Well done to the couple sticking to their guns.

Replies (1)

Ian on 11 October 2012 at 09:10

Even better value Joseph, it was £1.15 million !
    Jonny on 10 October 2012 at 22:07

Being a builder I work on many selfbuild homes . I've just watched this week's episode and all I can say is " what a fantastic house " a real credit to them . Please pass on my best wishes to them . Regards Jonny Dixon

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Did the new husband looked familiar to anyone else?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    for 1.1 million they could have built something far superior. I thought the digging under the water line was insanity and probably cost them an arm and a leg for what I think was 1 room. They never went for a pitched roof but the top floor never seemed to be more than a room's width so they never got any space advantage out of it. I would have just built something with a pitched roof that was longer.

When the architect ran off I remember thinking that he could now say he has shafted both of them in his time.

And what was the neighbour doing with a stone island jumper on? Is he a football casual?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X