• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How much does the car you drive cost you?"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I bought a 7 year old Mazda 6 a few months back £3.5k with 38k on the clock, perfect for all the abuse a toddler can throw at it (I was going to type 'perfect for child abuse' ).

At the same time a mate of mine bought a 2 year old S-line DSG TDi 170 A3 for £16k, his car has 80k on the clock.

If you're going to spend that sort of money you'd want a low miler wouldn't you? I think he's bonkers.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I'm sure there are lots on here with anecdotal evidence of this and that, but I prefer to trust Which reports on used cars.

They canvas several thousands of drivers with experience of the cars, a much bigger sample than on here. No cars are perfect, but some are clearly better than others.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Too right!
    The problems hat you have described with your car is caused my lack of maintence. If you took it to an honest garage that did ALL of the work in the service book you would not have problems with leaks.

You’re a/c must be properly recharged at least every two years. The water trap must be drained and new filters fitted.

Diesel filters must be changed and water drained at each service. They must check for deterioration in the pipe-work. The trouble is that most garages cut corners and don’t to a full job. When my car goes in for service a check everything before I drive away from the forecourt.

The most reliable make of cars I had was Mercedes (4 in total). The most unreliable were German Ford (3 in total). I am on my fifth French car and none of them have let me down and they have been the cheapest and most reliable and comfortable next to the Mercs.

I will never buy Ford again, I was constantly concerned on when it will next breakdown. The breakdowns in the German Fords were ALL due to major component failures. They all rusted very early.

I am happy that French cars are not popular because this makes them very cheap to buy, and I not concerned about the resale price because I always get my monies worth.

AA call-outs with Mercedes = 1
    AA call-outs with Ford = 12 (I lost count after that)
    AA call-outs with Citroen and Renault = 0

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    There has got to be something in that then.

New shape just out with dealers offering 0% finance.

Top Gear review. Sort of.
    It's OK. Looks like it's parked outside a cool hotel. Anyone recognise that place?

All New Suzuki Swift - Designed For Life

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    You're the third person in a week to mention that make/model.
    There has got to be something in that then.

New shape just out with dealers offering 0% finance.

Top Gear review. Sort of.
    Last edited by Clippy; 23 September 2010, 22:24.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I'm a bit of a no. 3.

Neither of our cars cost more than £10k, and I'm pretty loath to spend more than that on a motor when I don't use it regularly.

Once we've finished the house and the garage I'll persuade the wife that we really need a caterham, but I won't spend more than £10k on it...

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The VW reputation is somewhat tarnished in my rheumy old eyes.
    Isn't that just your lizard's 2nd set of eyelids?

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Too right!
    wrong!

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    I got a top of the range diesel Focus new 2.5 years ago for £12K (List price 16K).

I have done 75K’s, apart from a faulty power steering pump which is replaced, it is absolutely fine.

I intend to be running it into the ground.

Rather than skimp on servicing, I still take it for the 12K service, which is around 3 services per year, and pay the platinum £25 a month AA parts and labour / full recovery option with replacement car if needed, to guarantee always being on the road.

Wish I went for an Octavia looking back, but for a motorway commute I am happy with the comfort and toys of the Focus Ghia.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Bangernomics (sort of) - I've got an L200 Crew Cab I paid 3K for via a friend (1.5K off book price) and it never goes wrong. I had a major service last year which cost me 1K as it was time to replace all the belts and pulleys. Apart from that it costs peanuts to run.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    I still contend, although no one listens, that a Suzuki Swift is a great second hand buy for the above type requirements.
    You're the third person in a week to mention that make/model.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I study Which reports on used cars when buying, and they generally back up what your friends say. And I'd add Honda.

I particularly avoid French cars.
    Reassuring to know... thanks DS.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I just bought a new people carrier! A FREAKING PEOPLE CARRIER FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    is it big enough to fit a mattress in the back?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Too right!

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    The general consensus from friends is "German or Japanese", especially VW/Audi or Toyota/Nissan.
    I study Which reports on used cars when buying, and they generally back up what your friends say. And I'd add Honda.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X