• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much does the car you drive cost you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a Mazda in 2003 for 3K cash when it was 4 year old. Still using it, has started every day without a problem and passed every MOT till now.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I don't buy anything unless it has done 100K miles. Current one, bought last month, cost £600: V6, 190bhp, £230 fully comprehensive. Yearly repairs and maintenance usually £500, never more than £1000 because I would be considering a replacement if higher.

Comment

My last service, 2 weeks ago, cost just over €1500 I could buy a car for that!

(Actually €800 was for 2 rear tyres but still, €700 is still something and now its got to go in again to have the Hochdruckpumpe replaced and software upgraded. Lucky I got the extended warranty.)
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I've only ever owned 3 cars. I tend to look after them and keep them for a while.
          Once It's paid for I don't see the point in shelling out for something shinier and newer.
          I love my current car, it has a great stereo and is red
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Great timing and interesting reading this thread - am currently looking for a car for Mrs RH and weighing up the pros and cons of buying used/new. It's for her to travel to patients' houses in the local Borough, shopping, and the occasional motorway journey, but nothing too hectic.

Went for a test drive in a '10 VW Polo and it was a lovely little car - also looking at a used Golf 1.6. Was very tempted to splash out on the Guilietta but didn't want to get something that'd cause an almighty row if Mrs RH were to prang it. Ideally want relatively hassle-free A-B motoring with a 5dr hatchback no bigger than A3 size.

The general consensus from friends is "German or Japanese", especially VW/Audi or Toyota/Nissan. Although I've heard that Alfas are undeserving of their reputation nowadays.

<reading the car threads with interest>

Comment

Current car was about 6k when we got it 3 years ago, down to 4k now.
              Getting traded in soon for a comfortable motorway cruiser
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                Current car was about 6k when we got it 3 years ago, down to 4k now.
                Getting traded in soon for a comfortable motorway cruiser
                I just bought a new people carrier! A FREAKING PEOPLE CARRIER FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                  Great timing and interesting reading this thread - am currently looking for a car for Mrs RH and weighing up the pros and cons of buying used/new. It's for her to travel to patients' houses in the local Borough, shopping, and the occasional motorway journey, but nothing too hectic.

Went for a test drive in a '10 VW Polo and it was a lovely little car - also looking at a used Golf 1.6. Was very tempted to splash out on the Guilietta but didn't want to get something that'd cause an almighty row if Mrs RH were to prang it. Ideally want relatively hassle-free A-B motoring with a 5dr hatchback no bigger than A3 size.

The general consensus from friends is "German or Japanese", especially VW/Audi or Toyota/Nissan. Although I've heard that Alfas are undeserving of their reputation nowadays.

<reading the car threads with interest>
                  I still contend, although no one listens, that a Suzuki Swift is a great second hand buy for the above type requirements.

Comment

Spent £6000 in 2006 on a 3.2 litre Jag with about 50K on the clock, half of which was a £3000 payout for the heap of scrap metal I accidently left the previous one in.

Still going strong, and surprisingly good mileage, and quiet as a mouse. Costs a fair bit to have it properly serviced though.

Next motor will be a four-wheel drive, if I can afford it, although I still can't quite dismiss the idea of a second hand roller. Why not? You only live once.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                      The general consensus from friends is "German or Japanese", especially VW/Audi or Toyota/Nissan.
                      I study Which reports on used cars when buying, and they generally back up what your friends say. And I'd add Honda.

I particularly avoid French cars.

Comment

Working...
                      X