• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contactor Question for Once!"

Collapse

• MayContainNuts
    replied
    "Did you say you experience in database design on your CV? " - I'm a DBA. Don't normally do the design stuff.

Well thanks for the advice. Deffo a difference from being perm. I'm a little nervous about standing out, been out of work for a while before! and this is my first contract so want it to go well!

Not sure I understand the other comments? But thanks anyway!

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by MayContainNuts View Post
    Been reading the board during the week but unable to post at work.

I finished my first weeks contract last week and I am now on my second week?

I was surprised at how quick I was expected to hit the floor running! I was asked to check their design for the new application database and added as a signatory for sign-off!

Anyway, I had some concerns but signed off as I thought it was best not to rock the board?

My contract question is? Is it best to voice concerns up front or go along with the flow?
    Did you say you experience in database design on your CV?

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    I think it's called high rising terminals? But yes, really annoying?
    I mean, like, totally? I thought he was from, like, LA or something?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I thought I was quite measured.

I could have called him Priscilla.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    You're expected to deliver within the 1st week, you're a contractor now. And sod rocking the boat, you're supposed to be the expert, if they don't like your decision be it positive or negative, they can fire you (they won't).

(And go easy on the ?'s - it makes you look weak and indecisive.)
    Nice response ladies. Painters in?

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    I saw what you did there?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    That is the first time I've ever seen "Australian question intonation" typed out. Like, well done?

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by MayContainNuts View Post

Anyway, I had some concerns but signed off as I thought it was best not to rock the board?

My contract question is? Is it best to voice concerns up front or go along with the flow?
    That is the first time I've ever seen "Australian question intonation" typed out. Like, well done?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post

Best to voice concerns upfront, especially as you are 'neutral'. That's why they hire external contractors like you.
    Exactly.

But bear in mind that when carefully considered and used in moderation some non-normalized horrors, that would give a uni computer science lecturer seizures, can improve performance.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Yeah, and drop the exclamation marks - they make you look like a sixth former

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    You're expected to deliver within the 1st week, you're a contractor now. And sod rocking the boat, you're supposed to be the expert, if they don't like your decision be it positive or negative, they can fire you (they won't).

(And go easy on the ?'s - it makes you look weak and indecisive.)

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Best to voice concerns upfront, especially as you are 'neutral'. That's why they hire external contractors like you.

Once you've been quiet about something you have to go along with it. And when the tulip hits the fan it will of course be you who gets the blame and you who will get fired. That's why they hire external contractors like you.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• MayContainNuts
    started a topic Contactor Question for Once!

Contactor Question for Once!

Been reading the board during the week but unable to post at work.

I was surprised at how quick I was expected to hit the floor running! I was asked to check their design for the new application database and added as a signatory for sign-off!

Working...
X